A note to people who use CCleaner

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: A note to people who use CCleaner

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:08 am

CCleaner 5.08.5308 is just out. :thumbsup
MWP 7 disabled from the cloud (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows Firewall Control (WFC) | NOD32 EAV (ßeta) | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.7.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:31 pm

CCleaner 5.10.5373 is just out. :thumbsup
MWP 7 disabled from the cloud (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows Firewall Control (WFC) | NOD32 EAV (ßeta) | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.7.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:06 am

CCleaner 5.12.5431 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:57 am

CCleaner 5.14.5493 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:15 pm

CCleaner 5.15.5513 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:37 am

CCleaner 5.16.5551 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 am

CCleaner 5.17.559 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed May 25, 2016 12:10 am

CCleaner 5.18.5607 is just out. :thumbsup
rkleaman
Rattled Rabbit

Sat May 28, 2016 3:02 pm

One of the forums that I visit recommended CC Cleaner. I paid the requested fee and downloaded it. My first experience resulted in loss of some rather important (at the very least to me) information. I vowed to never this program again. In addition, I have two programs that I have used for years and these two programs do not destroy any information. Be very careful and very cautious when and if you use CC Cleaner since it has some extremely dangerous routines included in its operation. Whether anyone agrees with me or not is totally immaterial to me since I know exactly what happened.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat May 28, 2016 3:07 pm

rkleaman wrote:One of the forums that I visit recommended CC Cleaner. I paid the requested fee and downloaded it. My first experience resulted in loss of some rather important (at the very least to me) information. I vowed to never this program again. In addition, I have two programs that I have used for years and these two programs do not destroy any information. Be very careful and very cautious when and if you use CC Cleaner since it has some extremely dangerous routines included in its operation. Whether anyone agrees with me or not is totally immaterial to me since I know exactly what happened.
Ouch. When you say you paid the requested fee, you bought CCleaner Professional ?
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

The reason I ask, is I've seen scam websites that advertise imitation programs, they ask for payment first and the program they deliver is not the same as the one they pretend to be.
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Sat May 28, 2016 8:15 pm

rkleaman wrote:One of the forums that I visit recommended CC Cleaner. I paid the requested fee and downloaded it. My first experience resulted in loss of some rather important (at the very least to me) information. I vowed to never this program again.
Ouch. Some of us have been warning about that for some time, but when we politely point out the hazards of using those weapons of MS destruction the fans rush in and berate us in no uncertain terms.

But it is worrying that you paid for this thing.

By the way, the next time you do try those brute force tools, remember that you can backtrack by using System Restore in Windows. And, of course, before embarking on major housekeeping, always set aside a backup "image" of you system. There are plenty of tools out there. One of the most widely used is Acronis, but after five years or more of grappling with Acronis True Image I would not recommend it. EaseUs make tools that look less polished, but that actually do a better job.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 pm

rkleaman wrote:Whether anyone agrees with me or not is totally immaterial to me since I know exactly what happened.
Prima facie, I do agree that CCleaner can be quite destructive — the very fact that this thread exists is living proof of those capabilities.

rkleaman wrote:My first experience resulted in loss of some rather important (at the very least to me) information. I vowed to never this program again. Be very careful and very cautious when and if you use CC Cleaner since it has some extremely dangerous routines included in its operation.
What most folks don't seem to realize is that those very same destructive capabilities of CCleaner can be harnessed and refocused into positives.

In the hands of the uninitiated, CCleaner can wreck havoc — but, in the hands of a Pro, it can be turned into a precision tool, preempting intrusions into one's privacy (in as much so — it can be used even against Microsoft's devious foisting of Windows 10 down the throats of gullible Users.)

While employing CCleaner, the first precaution one should take; is to ensure that a file called WinApp2.ini is present in the CCleaner installation directory — personally, I prefer to use the beta equivalent of WinApp2.ini which is always available here.

WinApp2.ini is actively updated at the above-mentioned site — nonetheless, it is volatile and might bite those who neglect to take the time to research and learn all about the rules. WinApp2.ini consists of an inclusive list of apps. and programs which might not even exist in the system — hence, one would be well-advised to learn to use a tool called Trim.bat which is available here (otherwise WinApp2.ini would cause CCleaner to load sluggishly under the burden of all those extra rules.)

CCleaner Rule for TeamViewer:
TeamViewer is one software used across all User segments, from n00b to SysAdmin — not many know that the service that TeamViewer installs is absolutely not required for operational purposes. CCleaner can be used to completely delete all such unwanted services automatically — and, I mean delete, not merely disable:—
  • Code: Select all

[TeamViewer Shortcuts*]
    LangSecRef=3024
    Detect=HKCU\Software\TeamViewer
    Default=False
    FileKey1=%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo|TeamViewer.lnk
    FileKey2=%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs|TeamViewer 9.lnk
    FileKey3=%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs|TeamViewer 10.lnk
    FileKey4=C:\Users\Public\Desktop|TeamViewer 9.lnk
    FileKey5=C:\Users\Public\Desktop|TeamViewer 10.lnk
    RegKey1=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TeamViewer
In addition to the TeamViewer service, the above ruleset deletes all TeamViewer shortcuts — including the one on the right-click context menu under Send to.

CCleaner Rule for Java:
Almost everybody uses Java — unfortunately, it never respects User preferences at installation and insists on hooking itself into the Task Scheduler wanting to constantly update itself (meaning it will persist in pinging its server in its quest to check for updates):—
  • Code: Select all

[Java More*]
    LangSecRef=3022
    Detect=HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment
    Default=False
    FileKey1=%AppData%\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey4=%LocalLowAppData%\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\Cache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey6=%WinDir%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\Cache|*.*|RECURSE
    FileKey7=%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre*|*PATCH.ERR
    FileKey8=%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre*\lib\security|*.bak
    FileKey9=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files*\Java\jre*|*PATCH.ERR
    FileKey10=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files*\Java\jre*\lib\security|*.bak
    FileKey11=%SystemDrive%\Users\*\.oracle_jre_usage|*.*|REMOVESELF
    FileKey12=%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Java|Check For Updates.lnk
    FileKey13=%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Java|Configure Java.lnk
    RegKey1=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|SunJavaUpdateSched
    RegKey2=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-|SunJavaUpdateSched
The above ruleset deletes the Java schedule for self-updates and also other related shortcuts.

Rules for TeamViewer & Java were just a couple of examples — similar rules can be crafted for dozens of unwanted services, scheduled tasks, automatic Windows startups and numerous other nuisances.

Just imagine a life where your CCleaner automates all these pesky little headaches for you, while you are left with more time for your loved ones — not to mention . . . . . . . . . . a clean, fast and efficient rig. 8)

Moral:—
  • Whether CCleaner is "good" or "evil" depends solely on . . . . . . . where the User is positioned on the food-chain. :devil
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:50 am

TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 pm

CCleaner 5.19.5633 is just out. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:19 pm

TrustFire wrote:While employing CCleaner, the first precaution one should take; is to ensure that a file called WinApp2.ini is present in the CCleaner installation directory — personally, I prefer to use the beta equivalent of WinApp2.ini which is always available here.

WinApp2.ini is actively updated at the above-mentioned site — nonetheless, it is volatile and might bite those who neglect to take the time to research and learn all about the rules. WinApp2.ini consists of an inclusive list of apps. and programs which might not even exist in the system — hence, one would be well-advised to learn to use a tool called Trim.bat which is available here (otherwise WinApp2.ini would cause CCleaner to load sluggishly under the burden of all those extra rules.)
WinApp2.ini 5.19.160702 is just out — for those who like to play with fire. :devil

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”