[Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade"

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade"

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 am

Sidewinder wrote:
TrustFire wrote:I'd like to see the RHS SideBar (Customer Care Centre) removed — at least from the forums since it's hogging horizontal real estate. :(
The whole width including the CCC is scaleable to a point when you shrink the width of the window.
Scalable — how do you mean? :scratch

Sidewinder wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Color_&_Background_Issues.png
Color_&_Background_Issues.png (150.14 KiB) Viewed 11515 times
Not seeing the "highlight" on the orange here on my system. It stays the same color irrespective of where the cursor is placed
I was questioning not the highlight (hover) but the very choice of the color orange for a button (with an insignificant function) which I feel does not even complement this (new) Board well — it would have looked great on the previous build.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Mind if I put this thread into public view ? Some great talk/feedback and suggestions so far :thumbsup
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:49 pm

QuietOne wrote:Two other problems, or differences, I've already noted:

(1) The "New Post" Icon does absolutely NOTHING unlike the old one did. The old one took you to the Oldest Unread post but this one just sits there and looks stupid! (i.e. Dumb!) It would be much better if it acted in the same manner as the old one did.

(2) Even when the user clicks on the Thread Title, it doesn't take the user to the oldest unread post (which the old forum s/w didn't do either, but ...), so the user ends up having to scroll all the way through the thread to find the last stuff htey hadn't yet read. :facepalm :facepalm :rant :help Alternatively, if #1 is fixed then this one (#2) is fine.
It's not very clear right now, but in your screenshot you'll see the arrow pointing right, that's the new post link. Definitely needs improvement.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 pm

rusticdog wrote:
QuietOne wrote:Two other problems, or differences, I've already noted:

(1) The "New Post" Icon does absolutely NOTHING unlike the old one did. The old one took you to the Oldest Unread post but this one just sits there and looks stupid! (i.e. Dumb!) It would be much better if it acted in the same manner as the old one did.

(2) Even when the user clicks on the Thread Title, it doesn't take the user to the oldest unread post (which the old forum s/w didn't do either, but ...), so the user ends up having to scroll all the way through the thread to find the last stuff htey hadn't yet read. :facepalm :facepalm :rant :help Alternatively, if #1 is fixed then this one (#2) is fine.
It's not very clear right now, but in your screenshot you'll see the arrow pointing right, that's the new post link. Definitely needs improvement.
Yeah, OK now that you point it out but ...

In the past I used to click on the icon which took me to the last UNREAD post in a given thread. I was just trying to do the same thing I've always done and it didn't work. While I realize "change is 'good" and sometimes necessary, it would have been great if there could have been a little more consistency between behavior scenarios as opposed to adding another ADDITIONAL (i.e. and DIFFERENT) icon which did the job.
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Two other things WRT the fonts ...

(1) The User's SIGNATURE is almost more conspicuous on an INITIAL & Short Post than is the Post itself. It's hard to find the actual text the User wrote as the Reader's eye is drawn/taken more to the Signature than it is to the post the Writer wrote.

(2) The Header color (Gray) is fine up there at the top of the page but since all the rest of the text on the page is Gray also, it's (the page) very very BLAND. It would be far more usable, elegant, warm and inviting if different portions (items) and especially the textual content on the page were displayed in different colors and thus stood out better. I really wish it were something more visible and bold like a Brighter Blue shade but in a heavier weight non-bold font.

For instance:
  • The Thread Titles, User Names, and "'User Name' Wrote" text in one color that stood out more, Like a Red or Bright Purple. Everything blends together so much (far too much) because it's ALL Gray!;
  • While the darker color now used is better than it was originally (all washed out), display the Date/Time Stamps in a different standout color altogether;
  • There's still too much whitespace wasted between the lines of the Signatures. The various lines (of the signatures) should be printed with less space between lines.; and
  • I STILL have trouble seeing & reading the text because of the THINNESS of the font's LINES themselves. :thumbsdown Pick a different Heavier (not simply bolder) font. For instance currently the BOLD of the "B" "I" "u" "Quote" etc is very readable but the text of the posts is much more difficult to see and read and it's due to a combination of the Font Color and the Thinness of the font itself.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Forum Page Numbers:
ForumPageNumber.png
ForumPageNumber.png (72.96 KiB) Viewed 11499 times
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:57 pm

QuietOne wrote:
TrustFire wrote:Just awesome what a little love can accomplish:—
  • 4_Buttons_Resolution.png
    4_Buttons_Resolution.png (149.02 KiB) Viewed 11497 times
Just noticed something peculiar about the buttons (Edit, Delete, Report, Reply). :scratch :?

They are ONLY Present/Visible if/when the User's cursor is over a particular post. ALL other posts DO NOT show the buttons, unless and until the User moves their cursor over the given post.
Actually, I was referring to the poor visibility (presence) of those buttons after the cursor is moved into the hover area — no longer an issue for me since I have pimped my browser for the required effect as evident on the illustration (above.)

As for the issue of those buttons not being visible unless the cursor is moved over the post — shall be fineangling the same, today.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade

Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:07 pm

You can no longer change the font size as the A in the header is no longer available.

Also I cannot find the forum on Tapatalk, another forum I visit just enabled a forum add-on and Tapatalk was available in well under an hour from my request.

Things have to be pressed twice or more now on an iPad like editing a post or to display the last post.

A lot of functionality seems to either be missing or hidden especially when using a touchscreen without a mouse. Please do not design things that rely on a mouse as not every device has one!
Last edited by anniebrion on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:18 pm

QuietOne wrote:
  • Problems.png
    Problems.png (64.77 KiB) Viewed 11489 times
You mean a darker text such as the following:— :devil
Faint_Color_Issue.png
Faint_Color_Issue.png (136.52 KiB) Viewed 11489 times
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 pm

rusticdog wrote:Mind if I put this thread into public view ? Some great talk/feedback and suggestions so far :thumbsup
Oops, seem to have missed your post . . . . . . . please don't ask — take whatever steps you deem necessary to enhance the Board. :thumbsup

My personal opinion is that this upgrade holds great promise (have managed to override most of the cosmetic annoyances) — the Forum Developers have borrowed inspiration for the Board visuals from IPB V4 and the animations are straight out of Android Marshmallow (Lollipop — to be more precise.) :idea:
smart1960
βeta Tester

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:59 pm

It would be fine if you could enhance the print a little bit please. A nice bright background would help, but not to bright. Great job so far team well done on all projects and keep up the good work. :bow :bow :thumbsup :beer
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:43 am

TrustFire wrote:
Color_&_Background_Issues.png
Color_&_Background_Issues.png (150.14 KiB) Viewed 11478 times
Looks more polished, now:—
Mission_Accomplished.png
Mission_Accomplished.png (81.18 KiB) Viewed 11478 times
anniebrion
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:00 am

After playing with the forum for a little while I have found the layout quite annoying to use on my iPad, which is my primary device, so much so that I'm put off of visiting the forum due to it :rant :thumbsdown :nono

Using my PC would not make things any better as that is also touchscreen.
Annie.......... PC details
Mailwasher Pro βeta [v 7.12.39]
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:15 am

Divided the Board post and signature with a subtle touch:—
Post_&_Signature_Separator.png
Post_&_Signature_Separator.png (164.75 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: [Bugs + Suggestions]: "The NEW Board Upgrade

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:39 am

anniebrion wrote:You can no longer change the font size as the A in the header is no longer available.
Confirmed! Is/Would be very useful to have that back. :thumbsup
anniebrion wrote:Things have to be pressed twice or more now on an iPad like editing a post or to display the last post.
Also Confirmed! But with one difference ... I don't have or use an iPad. I'm ONLY using a notebook (MacBook Pro).
anniebrion wrote:A lot of functionality seems to either be missing or hidden especially when using a touchscreen without a mouse. Please do not design things that rely on a mouse as not every device has one!
Left the part about the missing functionality in the above quote for context but want to Agree with Annie about the bolded part. Also want to add ...

Please don't design things that rely ONLY on a touchscreen as some of us don't have them and REQUIRE mice! :devil

Return to “General Site”