How to stop Mailwasher Pro alerting on Filtered items

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
andrew.len
Student Sheep

How to stop Mailwasher Pro alerting on Filtered items

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi,

I own a license for MailwasherPro v7.11.5 and I rarely have any issues with it, but one thing is really starting to bug me which I hope someone will be able to help me solve.

I have a filter that I've saved as "Garbage-1" with about 180 or so defined rules in it. It works well, but despite MailwasherPro flagging the emails that match the filter as Garbage-1 and correctly setting those emails to be deleted, it still gives me a New Mail notification when these types of emails come in.

This does not happen on messages that Mailwasher itself has marked as spam. Ie: I don't get a New Mail alert - it only happens on my filtered messages that are marked as Spam.

The filter is set up as follows;

Filter Type: Spam
Actions: Always mark for delete

I don't want to "Auto-Delete these emails" as I like to be able to quickly review them before telling Mailwasher to go ahead and Wash Mail and remove them from my POP3 server.

Can anyone help with a solution to this problem?

Many thanks...

Andrew
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: How to stop Mailwasher Pro alerting on Filtered items

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi there

So it sounds like under Settings >> General >> Notifications >> "Don't notify me if mail is spam" is already set ?

Under the Actions tab of the Filter, what is the Spam Score set to ? It might be worth moving all the way left to -200, that may help.

Cheers
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:05 am

So it sounds like under Settings >> General >> Notifications >> "Don't notify me if mail is spam" is already set ?
Yes.
Under the Actions tab of the Filter, what is the Spam Score set to ? It might be worth moving all the way left to -200, that may help

Thanks for the tip rusticdog. I'll give that a try and get back you.
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi rusticdog,

I've just been able to confirm your suggested solution, however, Mailwasher still alerts (flashing mail icon in taskbar) on Filtered mail. Please see below.

The settings on the above filter:
1.png
Mailwasher Window
1.png (64.36 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
There were no other mail items in Mailwasher during this test.
2.png
Settings 1
2.png (26.04 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
3.png
Settings 2
3.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Any other ideas?

Looking forward to your reply and advice.

Regards, Andrew
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:53 pm

So this is the same issue, just needs some tweaking on what MW thinks is good and bad.

Under the hood MailWasher scores emails based off all the tools. The end total being -50 or worse is spam, +50 and greater is good, in between is neutral.

I expect what's happening in the Bayesian/Learning thinks the email is good, quite good in fact and giving it quite a high +, and your filter is assigning the -200 saying the opposite, but it's not enough to finally classify the email as spam.

That email coloured blue means that it's been put in the neutral zone, which is in turn causing the new mail notification.

To alter this behaviour, train those emails as spam using Thumbs Down before you Wash Mail, the Learning filter will adapt and push these kinds of emails into a spammier zone.

Optionally, and perhaps the quick and dirty fix for many of these situations would be to reduce the Learnings authority. Under Settings >> Spam Tools >> Spam Ratings >> put the Bayesian Sensitivity to Low >> Save.

Either will do the trick, the latter should have immediate effect (after restarting MW), training the emails to be good/bad will take a little time.

Cheers
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi,

I don't have any Bayesian Sensitivity settings in Settings > Spam Tools > Spam Ratings?
SpamRatings.png
Spam Ratings
SpamRatings.png (78.64 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Could you confirm if you mean Settings > Spam Tools > Learning Settings and to set Learning Sensitivity to Low?

Do the other figures in the next screenshot look OK to you or should they be altered?
LearningSettings.png
Learning Settings
LearningSettings.png (88.72 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Also, should I still leave those Filters set as -200 as previously suggested?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Yeah, my mistake. Learning Settings was what I meant.

And yes, I would leave the Filters as is.
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi again,

I've done what you've suggested and set Learning Sensitivity to Low but it didn't fix the problem. Tested it by sending an email to myself from another email account designed to be caught by the filters.

I even exited MWP and then restarted it after I made the changes too. It still alerts that I have new mail when Filtered messages come in that are marked for deletion.

Any other ideas?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Are the filtered emails red ? If they are blue/green, they are considered neutral/good and will trigger the new mail notification.

But it does sound like needing to train these emails as spam, after a time the Learning will kick in and flag the emails. I thought turning down the Learning would have worked :/
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Are the filtered emails red ? If they are blue/green, they are considered neutral/good and will trigger the new mail notification.
No, they're no red, blue or green. They aren't any color at all - just black on white background.
But it does sound like needing to train these emails as spam, after a time the Learning will kick in and flag the emails. I thought turning down the Learning would have worked :/
Thanks for trying rusticdog. I'm emailing Firetrust Support about the problem now. I'll update this thread when I get a response and hopefully a resolution.

Regards, Andrew
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Yeah, white/blue are emails with a final neutral score. Keep training...
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi rusticdog,

As promised, I have received a reply from FireTrust Support and they agree with your diagnosis. Here's their reply;
Hi Andrew,
Yes, I'd actually tend to agree with what rusticdog said, in that you need to train these emails as spam further, as the learning is still marking these as unknown...?

If you want to reset the learning (in case you have been mis-marking your emails so you can start again), click Settings>>Spam Tools>>Learning Settings, and click, "Reset Learning"
I've reset Learning and am re-training Mailwasher as support suggested.

My thanks for your help rusticdog.

Regards, Andrew
andrew.len
Student Sheep

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm

[SOLVED]

Just thought I'd update this thread to confirm what the solution was to the problem.

By using the "Reset Learning" option as suggested by Firetrust Support, and just one day of re-teaching Mailwasher, the annoying problem I was experiencing has been fixed!

Thanks FireTrust. Great support! :D

Regards, Andrew

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”