Spam Tool Settings - Filters run off the page

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Spam Tool Settings - Filters run off the page

Fri May 11, 2018 2:34 am

I mentioned this problem here a couple of times some time ago and was told to wait for a new release. I just bought and downloaded Ver 7.11.5 and it is worse than before.

The Problem: On the Spam Tool Settings - Filters section only 12 filters show. There is no scroll bar to get to the rest of them so they are unreachable for changing or adding new ones. This is extremely important as the clever spammers keep finding new ways to irritate you and custom filters is one of Mailwasher strengths.

Please take this problem seriously and with urgency . Without access to filters Mailwasher is very seriously handicapped.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Spam Tool Settings - Filters run off the page

Fri May 11, 2018 2:46 am

Hmmm, I am using 7.11.5 and I don't see your problem. Have you tried to resize the whole window?

I see the top 16 of my 23 filters and there is a scroll bar I can slide to see bottom listed filters.

Do other Mailwasher screens display properly?

What version of Windows?
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 am

I see no scroll bar. I went through this nearly two years ago with someone sending me off to check screen resolution and many other things with no luck

All screen on Mailwasher are fine

Windows Version 7

I can send a screen shot if someone tells me how to do it.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri May 11, 2018 3:06 am

Yeap, here's the old thread viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19875

It is, if I recall, a bug that shows when on being run at that lower resolution. Unfortunately the programmers are having some real headaches with version 8, so we're well behind on that. It's still on the list though.
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 3:24 am

This started in 7.8 in 2016 Below is part of the discussion at that time. And as you can see ataraxy saw the problem and rusticdog said the problem was added to the list when I suggested a ticket be started.

by ataraxy Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:01 am
I hadn't seen the problem until you mentioned it and I adjusted the MailWasher window size.

I agree that it could be done better. Firetrust are currently working on a new interface, so hopefully it will be fixed as a part of that.

by msgray Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 am
Thank you ataraxy,

Most people probably don't make such extensive use of filters. Can you see if a ticket is made out for the problem lest it be overlooked on the new interface?

by rusticdog Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:03 pm
Added to the list!

Thanks
END
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 am

I'm sorry I didn't see rusydogs post before I sent mine.

If you follow the whole thread he posted you can see this problem has been on a list for two years now and has gone from 7.8 to 7.11

One would think that it is time to give this problem high priority. I can't do anything with my filters now. I dread the next spammer that I can't do anything about especially like one who sends emails using your own email addresses as the sender which I have a filter for.now.

Should I ring Nick Bolton?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri May 11, 2018 4:28 am

msgray wrote:I can send a screen shot if someone tells me how to do it.
You can refer to the instructions on the post at the following link:—
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 am

One would think that it is time to give this problem high priority.
But this is not a high priority as it seems to be affecting only a very few people. And most importantly it does not affect security.
I dread the next spammer that I can't do anything about especially like one who sends emails using your own email addresses as the sender which I have a filter for.now.
Sorry, but this really does not make sense. Just because you don't have a filter for a specific type of email does NOT in ANY way affect MailWasher's ability to let you delete the email from the inbox before it has any chance of attacking your computer. I note there are many who don't use filters at all and they remain safe. Filters are more for convenience than anything else. Just because you don't have a filter to tag a message does not mean you cannot manually mark (Classify) it as bad which allows MailWasher's Bayesian/learning filters to learn about that type and hopefully automatically tag them in the future.

I do feel your pain. I am still waiting for MailWasher to respect my choice of browser when viewing links from Preview (you might not be able to see that as it is in a private forum), a bug I reported a year ago tomorrow. While I appreciate the fact you find your long time bug frustrating, like mine, it really is minor in the big scheme of things. Bumping it up on the list would just take away resources from more important issues that affect many more users.

Until this is resolved, I recommend you look at your existing filters and consolidate them into less than 12 so you can see all of them at once.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 8:51 am

This may be redundant now but here is a screenshot of my Spam Tool Settings - Filters showing no scrollbars
Attachments
AScreenshotOfFilters.jpg
AScreenshotOfFilters.jpg (139.09 KiB) Viewed 7693 times
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 am

If I might be so bold as to suggest what might be wrong causing the filter section to not scroll by itself.

It reminds me of a layer problem when I was doing web pages. I don't know what language is used on Mailwasher but seeing the filter section not scrolling independent of the host page seems similar to what happens when elements are not properly separated by layers or the layers are laid down in the wrong order.

Perhaps a programmer of Mailwasher might know what I am talking about even though it might be called something else in the programing language.

On a lighter note I notice I have been promoted to Travelling Tuatara. As an Australian I will treat this as a promotion and will no longer be in danger from Kiwis by being a sheep:-)
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 am

Digerati said: "But this is not a high priority as it seems to be affecting only a very few people." I like your logic.

The 'O' ring failure that caused space shuttle Challenger disaster only seriously affected seven people, but they fixed it anyhow.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri May 11, 2018 12:09 pm

That's a little melodramatic. No one is going to die here. So is threatening to ring the big cheese a bit melodramatic. Again, I am sure you could easily merger some of those filters. Have a good day.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 pm

If you mouse over the filter list, does your scroll wheel not allow you to scroll the filter list up/down ? If I recall when I recreated the bug, this did work.

We've got a huge list of things to complete, but first and foremost is to get version 8 into a ready state. Until that's complete there is no other focus right now.
msgray
Travelling Tuatara

Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pm

rusticdog said: "If you mouse over the filter list, does your scroll wheel not allow you to scroll the filter list up/down ? If I recall when I recreated the bug, this did work."

Yes, that's right but this time mousing over the filter list it doesn't work, but reducing the window vertical size and mousing over the left side outside the filter window the wheel does make the filter list scroll until you get too many filters and they start getting cut off. I just ran a test by loading it up with excess filters. At some stage a scroll bar suddenly appeared even in a full sized window. I then started deleting filters one by one and at about 12 or 14 filters the scroll bar suddenly disappeared again. Adding just one filter back the scroll bar reappears.

This might be another clue for the programmers when they get around to it. Having said that I can't imagine why the project for version 8 wouldn't include fixing a known bug.

I think Mailwasher is the greatest program I've ever had and considering I get 500 emails or more a day I couldn't live without it. (I hope that doesn't sound too melodramatic :-)

Good luck, Your Travelling Tuatara
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat May 12, 2018 5:52 am

msgray wrote:This may be redundant now but here is a screenshot of my Spam Tool Settings - Filters showing no scrollbars
AScreenshotOfFilters.jpg
AScreenshotOfFilters.jpg (139.09 KiB) Viewed 7660 times
[/center]
Not trying to get into the scrollbar issue — but, is there some compelling reason for using so many filters as you could easily move the rules from many of those filters and thereby dramatically decrease the number of filters?

Also, I see 2 unused filters — you could delete them to save further vertical real estate.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”