pop3 vs. imap

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
spewak
Mystified Moa

pop3 vs. imap

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

I have an email account that I use MWP with and for the life of me, I can not figure out why when account is setup as imap, a ton of spam flows right through to my email program. If MWP is setup as pop3 for that very same email account, it catches said spam but keeps all downloaded emails in the preview panes even though "Store cached emails" and "Pipelining" are both unchecked. It is driving me cooky. Any one have any ideas?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: pop3 vs. imap

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:37 pm

What email program do you use spewak ?

What you're describing sounds like your email program is set to also use IMAP when accessing the account
spewak
Mystified Moa

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:37 pm

I am currently using Postbox as my mail program. Should I have my email program setup as pop3 as MWP is setup as imap?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm

OK good. You've got a lot of options, just a matter of finding the best way to set things up to your preference.

For now I suggest keeping IMAP, as that means minimal changes in Postbox.

In Postbox you can go into Tools >> Options >> Accounts >> uncheck the options to "Check for new messages at startup", "Check for new messages every xx minutes", and "Allow immediate server notifications when new messages arrive" >> Save >> restart Postbox to make changes take effect.

What this would do is stop Postbox automatically retrieving emails as they arrive (a feature of IMAP) and to retrieve your mail into Postbox you just need to click "Get Mail"

Another feature of IMAP is that all mails are left on the server, in the folder structure you see in Postbox. This is why MailWasher (using POP or IMAP) sees all the mails.

When using IMAP in MailWasher it should only be downloading messages in the INBOX folder that are flagged UNREAD. Deleting a message in Postbox, reading a message or moving it to a subfolder should then remove it from MailWashers view the next time it checks for mail. This personally is what I do, making use of the subfolders to organise my mail and keeping the Inbox relatively clean.

When using POP in MailWasher it would load everything in the INBOX. Although if you set MailWasher to POP and use Recent Mode (a feature of GMail) it will only load the last 30 days mail. To use Recent Mode you simply add recent: to your username.
e.g. recent:youremail@gmail.com
spewak
Mystified Moa

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks rusticdog. All is well now.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”