Spam is getting through unimpeded

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Spam is getting through unimpeded

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 am

Mailwasher is identifying spam, and moving it into the recycle bin, but still letting it through when I log into my email server with Outlook. This has happened even after I've supposedly deleted the offending mail from the recycle bin before logging in with outlook.
Further, the "bounce" function doesn't seem to work at all. I suspect this is because the email is being sent with spoofed return addresses, so that every time I bounce it, I get an email notification that the bounced emails are not deliverable.
I can more or less tolerate the failure in the bounced emails, but obviously, if the program is identifying spam only to let it through, it isn't doing its job. I'm not one for Smilies and don't think any of them would adequately reflect my consternation. Please address this ASAP.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Spam is getting through unimpeded

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi there

This will just be a configuration issue, though I need you to clarify please.
The emails showing in Outlook are ones you have deleted in MailWasher and went into the Recycle Bin ? Or you are saying while Outlook is open, emails come straight in, 'slipping' past MailWasher.
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:24 pm

I have been keeping Outlook in offline mode most of the time because the spam is so bad.
I have been running MailWasher, identifying spam and sending it to the recycle bin, then letting Outlook go online to download the legitimate email. That seemed to work for about a week. Then I started getting email that I knew I had assigned to the recycle bin. So I deleted everything in the recycle bin before taking Outlook out of offline mode. But I still got the same spam that I had sent to recycle and then recycled.
I had emailed your company about this today as well and heard from somebody named Jeremy who said I should wait 20 seconds or so after emptying the recycle bin before activating Outlook. So I did that, and I didn't get the same spam, but I have to say, it seems like a pretty cumbersome process. What I really want is to have a spam filter that will do most of the identification for me, make it possible for me to correct any mistakes, and learn in the process. I think if something's been assigned to recycle, that certainly should be notice not to let it through. Finally, I understand that many spammers have figured out ways to foil the "bounce" feature. Is there an alternative? I would prefer that spammers think their address for me is wrong.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

These days it doesn't matter if spam gets a return bounce, the systems used to send spam don't care. We recommend now to only use the bounce when trying to make a legitimate sender think the email address is no longer valid.

For the emails clearing, if this is an IMAP account I would also check under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> have "Move deleted items into folder" unchecked. This option can cause the deletion process to slow down.

You don't need to empty the Recycle Bin in MailWasher to clear the mails, once they are deleted from the Wash Mail action they should be removed.

We have seen in the past email servers being slow to update, which can cause this extra few seconds being necessary. Next time you notice the issue, try sending some logs as well. To do that go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'emails deleted download into outlook' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent.

Cheers
Chris
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Thank you. While I am at it, can you clarify how to make MailWasher only display the emails I have yet to download? I don't want to delete any of them from the server, but I would prefer not to have the old ones that have already been downloaded by Outlook showing up in my MailWasher screen. It gets confusing.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Sudaval wrote:Thank you. While I am at it, can you clarify how to make MailWasher only display the emails I have yet to download? I don't want to delete any of them from the server, but I would prefer not to have the old ones that have already been downloaded by Outlook showing up in my MailWasher screen. It gets confusing.
In MailWasher go into Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> uncheck Download Read EMails >> Save.
This is a feature for IMAP accounts only, but I assume that's what you are using.

Cheers
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Yes, that's already unchecked. But the program is still displaying them.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Sudaval wrote:Yes, that's already unchecked. But the program is still displaying them.

Sorry, misread your previous post. Unfortunately that is the only option there is. MailWasher will always retrieve Inbox email that are flagged Unread.

We are planning on adding some options to retrieve recent emails only, but I expect that is some time off.
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:48 pm

That's what I don't understand. These are emails that I've downloaded and read. So they ought to be marked as read. But they're still showing up
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Sudaval wrote:That's what I don't understand. These are emails that I've downloaded and read. So they ought to be marked as read. But they're still showing up
Your account in Outlook is also setup as IMAP, or has that been setup as POP ?
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

yes, IMAP. I'll be away from my desk but will check back
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Odd. And Outlook is being set to Online so it synchs the Read/Unread with the server ? Assuming so, it will be worth getting some logs then.

If you send yourself say 3 test messages, have them show in MailWasher, then in Outlook download/mark them as Read, Check Mail again in MailWasher so they are still showing.

Then go Help >> Send Support Logs >> enter a brief note like 'emails still showing after read' >> in the Ticket Number field enter chris >> Send Logs >> reply back here once sent.
Sudaval
Student Sheep

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:15 pm

It turns out I may have been doing things wrong. It's better now. I'll keep you informed if there continues to be a problem.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 pm

OK sure thing, fingers crossed for smooth sailing.

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”