Does Mailwasher support Outlook Exchange?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
mw62
Active Albatross

Does Mailwasher support Outlook Exchange?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 am

I may be overlooking it, but I could not find an answer on the above question in the FAQ.
Looked through various posts here, could not find it either.

I can only but conclude that MW doesn't support Exchange: I create an Exchange account within Office 365
Mailwasher could not detect it, opposed to POP3 and IMAP.

Maybe it will come some day?
(maybe limiting it to 1 exchange email account?)

Thanks.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Does Mailwasher support Outlook Exchange?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am

Correct, MailWasher only has POP3 and IMAP. We've considered Exchange in the past, and something we'd like to do, but I couldn't give any kind of timeframe as it's not a priority for us right now.
mw62
Active Albatross

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Sorry for the delay.
Thanks for the feedback.
I really feel (very) sad about this...

Most Office 365 users, when adding their Outlook account, they have 2 options:
1. just enter their email address and password and that's it, or
2. enter email address and go into 'advanced' setup, select IMAP, enter server addresses etc.

In case of 1. Exchange is automatically selected. That is the easiest way.
For privacy reasons, users can relocate the Outlook database (.ost file). This is done using a registry patch.

This does -not- work with IMAP: when using this protocol, the registry patch is ignored and the Outlook file is stored in its default location.

I am a happy Mailwasher-user since November 2002 and have a lifetime license.

Likely more and more people will switch to Office 365, so they can use it on different devices, have a 1TB OneDrive cloud, etc. and may just select the default setup, when adding their Outlook account, which is then Exchange.

Obviously I have no idea of the complexity of supporting Exchange, but I really do hope Firetrust will consider supporting it, especially in view of the above (Microsoft default account setup). Did a quick check, but haven't found anti spam tools supporting Exchange, that is to say: 'affordable' single license end-user software.
In that sense it would make Mailwasher fairly unique then...

Thanks.
mw62
Active Albatross

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Now ... THIS I don't understand . . . totally puzzled.

All of a sudden 'Exchange' mails show up in Mailwasher... Is this a one-time luck??
SnagIt-04122018 062833.png
SnagIt-04122018 062833.png (40.5 KiB) Viewed 7421 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:41 pm

mw62 wrote:Now ... THIS I don't understand . . . totally puzzled.

All of a sudden 'Exchange' mails show up in Mailwasher... Is this a one-time luck??
It's possible that it migrated the mails across for IMAP access, or perhaps MailWasher experienced some initial issues.
I guess keep your eyes on it, see if it performs reliably now.
mw62
Active Albatross

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Then again, I noticed that mails are arriving even a little -earlier- in my actual mailbox than in Mailwasher.
Probably this has something to do with what Kristine Arp is writing in her reply on thread titled:
"How to stop Outlook 2016 receiving mail automatically"
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 3be55bc6eb

viz: "There is no option to totally stop Outlook 2016 from sending or receiving emails unless it is in Work Offline status."

Am uncertain as to having Outlook in Offline status - never used that mode. Not sure whether it may lead to errors or risky at some point.
Not read any user experience on that.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:10 am

Later:

I have been able to change the account to IMAP.

As said before, the mails arrive automatically, by default.
So, it is bypassing Mailwasher.

How to best set this up?
Curious to know how others might have set this up.

Outlook 365 IMAP.

Thanks!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Outlook 365 is one of the clients that does not appear to have support for disabling push notifications. In IMAP typically mail clients maintain a connection to the mail server, and the client gets notified when new mail arrives. They talk about it here as IMAP IDLE https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... cb975c90ee

If you can disable that, then you can set the client to only retrieve emails when you select to. ThunderBird, emClient and I think PostBox have this option.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks. Regretfully Outlook 365 for Windows does not have this kind of settings.

That said, here is something peculiar.
I have removed my IMAP account and re-added my account as Exchange. Considering that mails automatically arrive in my mailbox, no matter IMAP or Exchange.
Obviously, with an Exchange account MW that should not work, right?

When 'importing' - 0 accounts found

After adding my account manually and selecting IMAP at the server settings tab(...) the account was listed within Mailwasher (?)
Theoretically, it still should not work.
However, mails nonetheless arrived (I reported that earlier) irrespective of IMAP server settings.

As a test I sent a mail from my 'Exchange' account to myself and it showed up in Mailwasher.
How can?
Of course the test mail automatically showed up in Outlook.

Now, when selecting the 'test' mail in Mailwasher.. together with some other 'spam' alike mails and clicking on 'Wash' Outlook was opened and the selected mails in Outlook were gone as well.
MW deletes them from the server and that is instantly synchronized with my Outlook account.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:32 am

rusticdog wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 am
Correct, MailWasher only has POP3 and IMAP. We've considered Exchange in the past, and something we'd like to do, but I couldn't give any kind of timeframe as it's not a priority for us right now.
Thank you.
Up front, I am not an expert.

My default account is Outlook Exchange. However, it does show up in Mailwasher (as IMAP?) when I launch MW.

No doubt it is okay and I am sure I am mixing things up, am great in that ... :)
SnagIt-12042022 152329.png
SnagIt-12042022 152329.png (65.57 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:53 am

Yeah, MailWasher is using the IMAP protocol to access the account. Outlook is using Exchange, which is the MAPI protocol if I remember right.

It's fine having the programs using different protocols, that won't cause any issue.

But with Outlook and IMAP/MAPI, there aren't many nice options to turn off push notifications (being told an email is there as soon as it arrives). So while that's open it will automatically display new messages.
mw62
Active Albatross

Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:55 am

Thanks again for the explanation!

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”