I would purchase but PRO not catching about 10 of the blacklisted ones

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

I would purchase but PRO not catching about 10 of the blacklisted ones

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 am

I'm assuming I have Pro, I'm still in the trial period. And it's after 2012 so I must have the latest version? I downloaded it about 2 weeks ago. I've asked this before with no response but maybe I asked on the wrong forum.

I have listed many on the blacklist. But the same 10 or 12 still get by everyday even though they are definitely listed as blacklist. I am surely going to purchase this program if I can figure out is it good enough to stop these ones. It should be able to . . . yes?

one thing I did learn is that I had to turn off Gmail on 2 devices and keep it off on the PC. All this to make sure they first hit Mailwasher. Then I go to the mail program. But It's frustrating to see these 10 or so everyday in my regular email, Gmail.

jep :roll:
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: I would purchase but PRO not catching about 10 of the blacklisted ones

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:55 am

You would probably need to give an example of what you are trying to blacklist, and how. It can be tricky but not necessarily MailWasher's fault. Perhaps a filter would work better for you. I generally don't recommend the use of Blacklisting except for specific email addresses you know to be valid - from an ex-wife for example.

One thing to remember is badguy are constantly making minor changes to their spam just to get by blacklists.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:20 am

Digerati wrote:You would probably need to give an example of what you are trying to blacklist, and how. It can be tricky but not necessarily MailWasher's fault. Perhaps a filter would work better for you. I generally don't recommend the use of Blacklisting except for specific email addresses you know to be valid - from an ex-wife for example.

One thing to remember is badguy are constantly making minor changes to their spam just to get by blacklists.
THanks so much! I'll address your reply.

In most of these I have blacklisted the domain. I would have that then that all those same domains would be blacklisted no matter what they put in front of the "@" For instance I get a lot from @usarewardshop.com In Gmail I've blocked and filters. No work.

I've tried filters on Chrome/Gmail and none of them ever seem to work. I've blocked them on Gmail also.

Why wouldn't blocking the specific domain, they're always the same, block that domain.

And these ones' I blacklist I hand choose to be blacklisted and others I leave "good" and others "friend"

I have also found at least for awhile. That leaving gmail shut down on all my devices, even the PC helps some. Otherwise they get to Gmail before Mailwasher.

Oddly the ones that are getting by me are ending up in Gmail Spam. I don't know why. I have no filter. And some of the blacklisted are still going to Gmail Inbox.

I appreciate you taking time. :roll:
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 am

I can answer some of those. Gmail has its own spam blocking. So any emails that match their patterns are automatically put in the Gmail spam folder. Remember, that is done BEFORE MailWasher (MW) ever sees the email. So MW could not tag it even if it matched the MW filters. In fact, ALL emails sent to your Gmail address will go to the Gmail servers before MW has a chance to see them. It is only after you tell MW to fetch your emails that MW has a chance to look at them - assuming Gmail did not already move them to its Spam folder.

Note too that bad guys are very clever. They can easily make email look like it comes from somewhere else. That may be your problem when you try to tag that usarewardshop.com.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 am

Digerati wrote:I can answer some of those. Gmail has its own spam blocking. So any emails that match their patterns are automatically put in the Gmail spam folder. Remember, that is done BEFORE MailWasher (MW) ever sees the email. So MW could not tag it even if it matched the MW filters. In fact, ALL emails sent to your Gmail address will go to the Gmail servers before MW has a chance to see them. It is only after you tell MW to fetch your emails that MW has a chance to look at them - assuming Gmail did not already move them to its Spam folder.

Note too that bad guys are very clever. They can easily make email look like it comes from somewhere else. That may be your problem when you try to tag that usarewardshop.com.
Yes I hear that. So if all these blacklisted ones are going to hit Gmail server first, then MailWasher gets a shot at them, how can MW do anything about stopping these persistent bad emails from hitting our Inbox and Spam? What good does any of these types of programs do if they get now shot at the bad stuff before you download it to your browser or client? This is their right side panel AD (below) when Googling them. Only In part . . . is this a lie? They say the program learns what to keep from you and your email program. It even says you can have the ones you choose deleted by MW and not even have to deal with them. So is this hype below and not fact? Thanks! Didn't mean to drag this on but before I pay I want to know what it's good for eh? :help

Mailwasher
Software
Description: Mailwasher is an email filtering software for Windows that can detect and delete spam from a user's email when it is on the mail server, before being downloaded to the user's computer. Mailwasher was developed by the New Zealand based company Firetrust.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:06 pm

So if all these blacklisted ones are going to hit Gmail server first, then MailWasher gets a shot at them, how can MW do anything about stopping these persistent bad emails from hitting our Inbox and Spam?
Do you use a local email client? That is, an email program that runs on your computer like Outlook or Thunderbird? Do you have more than one email address you get mail at? That's where MWP really shines. MWP lets you check multiple email address, purge all the emails you don't want to keep, then download to you local machine, only those "keepers".
What good does any of these types of programs do if they get now shot at the bad stuff before you download it to your browser or client?
I think you are a bit confused here. Browser and client are two totally different beasts.

Your browser lets you view webpages - including webmail pages like your emails located in your gmail inbox out at https://mail.google.com.

An email "client" is a different program that downloads your emails sent to you. Browsers do NOT download the emails Clients do.

MWP sits on your computer, when configured properly, sits between your email client and the mail server out on the web somewhere. It does indeed let you detect and delete spam before your client downloads the spam to your local machine.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
jackdashack
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Digerati wrote:
So if all these blacklisted ones are going to hit Gmail server first, then MailWasher gets a shot at them, how can MW do anything about stopping these persistent bad emails from hitting our Inbox and Spam?
Do you use a local email client? That is, an email program that runs on your computer like Outlook or Thunderbird? Do you have more than one email address you get mail at? That's where MWP really shines. MWP lets you check multiple email address,, only those "keepers".
What good does any of these types of programs do if they get now shot at the bad stuff before you download it to your browser or client?
I think you are a bit confused here. Browser and client are two totally different beasts.

Your browser lets you view webpages - including webmail pages like your emails located in your gmail inbox out at https://mail.google.com.

An email "client" is a different program that downloads your emails sent to you. Browsers do NOT download the emails Clients do.

MWP sits on your computer, when configured properly, sits between your email client and the mail server out on the web somewhere. It does indeed let you detect and delete spam before your client downloads the spam to your local machine.
============================================================
I hear you. And at the risk of having you block me. ;) I am confused. First a brief bit. I've had PC's since 1987 and been on the web since 1996. I've seen a lot of changes. But I don't get what you say about having more than one email account? Yes, I do. Too many. A good number inactive. And I have had Thunderbird, Outlook, and maybe another one or two. But if I can't get MW to shine for one account why would it do better with more.

Your quote, " purge all the emails you don't want to keep, then download to you local machine" that's what I'm expecting. I ain't happening. It's getting to my Gmail account, in a browser of course, before MW does anything? That's what so darn confusing. Possible I need to look elsewhere. I'm taking too much time I'm sure.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 pm

I won't block you. I can't anyway.

Not sure what to say why you can't get it going. Did you see this: https://www.firetrust.com/products/mail ... tart-guide
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”