TBird downloading mail without my manual request

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
oldmike60
Mystified Moa

TBird downloading mail without my manual request

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:09 am

Using TBird 68.4.1 under Windows 10. Been using TBird for a decade, so very familiar with it. New to Mail Washer. I turned of all automatic downloads in TBird; a day later I am still getting some email before I have even looked at the Mail Washer list. I have seen posting elsewhere mentioning an IDLE command for an IMAP environment, wherein the server notifies of new mail, but it should not trigger TBird to down load. How to insure TBird does not get mail unless / until I tell it to Get Mail?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: TBird downloading mail without my manual request

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:45 am

In ThunderBird under Tools >> Account Settings >> select Server Settings >> uncheck Allow Immediate server Notifications When New Messages Arrive >> restart ThunderBird.
MalctheMailwasher
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:00 am

Hi, I am getting this problem also, but the Thunderbird setting indicated above is already unchecked ?
Am on TBird 68.4.2. Hang on it says 32 bit but am I 64 bit PC .. is this a problem also ?.......
Malc
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:08 am

MalctheMailwasher wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:00 am
Hi, I am getting this problem also, but the Thunderbird setting indicated above is already unchecked ?
Am on TBird 68.4.2. Hang on it says 32 bit but am I 64 bit PC .. is this a problem also ?.......
Malc
There's two other options, one for a check on startup, and another for a timed check every xx minutes. Make sure these are also off.

Restart ThunderBird after making any changes.
MalctheMailwasher
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:12 am

Hi and many thanks for the reply,

Yes all three checkboxes are clear.

In mailwasher I have
SMTP server address: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Server Port: 465

SMTP requires authentication - is checked ......(now theres a thought)

Use same settings as my incoming mail server - radio button was also checked.

Secure connection: TLS selected

Might any of this be the reason ?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 am

No, SMTP options are just for sending emails.

Is the issue that emails you download into ThunderBird, still show in MailWasher after a subsequent check for messages, or are emails coming into ThunderBird without your interaction ?
gran
Student Sheep

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:33 pm

I am having the same problem with outlook/Hotmail email program. emails are going to my Hotmail email account without my interaction. I check ME first. I found junk mail not on MW but in my Hotmail program. Is it being downloaded to both programs at the same time. I couldn't find any where to untick anything in the outlook/Hotmail program...looked for tools, nothing. I also check over the MW settings and everything else on it, working fine. Must be in the email program somewhere, but how do I find out? Anyone have an idea? Should I untick the MW for auto email to program after washing? When I get there the emails are
on there anyway...….thanks
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:44 pm

gran wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:33 pm
I am having the same problem with outlook/Hotmail email program. emails are going to my Hotmail email account without my interaction. I check ME first. I found junk mail not on MW but in my Hotmail program. Is it being downloaded to both programs at the same time. I couldn't find any where to untick anything in the outlook/Hotmail program...looked for tools, nothing. I also check over the MW settings and everything else on it, working fine. Must be in the email program somewhere, but how do I find out? Anyone have an idea? Should I untick the MW for auto email to program after washing? When I get there the emails are
on there anyway...….thanks
Unfortunately Outlook does not have the feature to stop emails downloading if the account is setup in Outlook as an IMAP account. It has an always online feature that will retrieve the message as soon as it arrives. You can set Outlook to Offline mode, but this isn't a nice work around having to switch back and forth.

If you are not particularly fixed on Outlook, you could switch to ThunderBird as your email program, as it does have this ability.
gran
Student Sheep

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 am

I have had my Hotmail for a while. Don't want to change it. No matter what settings you put it, Imap or Pop3, the outlook changes them automatically to: outlook.office.365office.com. all by itself. drives me nuts.
I went on the Microsoft Outlook information and that's exactly what they have for both. I thought it was due to the new MW update, but how I wonder. I don't use the office 365,so I think Outlook is part of it.
today, all mly good mail was in MW and my In box. And the JUNK mail was in my Inbox...….I cant find a solution,except that it was fine before a week or so ago. cant tell you what happened, but whatever it
did is not good. I thank you for helping me and for the suggestions, but I am going to uninstall and reinstall MW and see if that helps any. I have had this program a long time, and love it. never had a problem
before, so I will try and figure this out with all the help I can gather.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:23 pm

That's OK that Outlook changes the server address to outlook.office365.com, as that can be used for both IMAP and POP access.

If you want Outlook to not retrieve the emails automatically, then it needs to be first setup as a POP account, using outlook.office365.com is fine.
Then once that is done, you need to setup Outlook to not grab the emails. What version of Outlook are you using ?

Cheers
MalctheMailwasher
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:31 am

Hi Rusticdog,
going back a few places in the thread you said

>>>>>No, SMTP options are just for sending emails.

Is the issue that emails you download into ThunderBird, still show in MailWasher after a subsequent check for messages, or are emails coming into ThunderBird without your interaction ?<<<<<

Well I've been trying to tinker with the settings myself, should have a pro do it.

The issue is that emails I download into Thunderbird still show in Mailwasher. AND I just marked a bunch of emails for deletion on Mailwasher and it seems to have wiped them from Thunderbird also..... Recent Windows 10 Pro update also threw a spanner in the works as well I think.

Finally, emails are coming into Thunderbird without my interaction

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards
Malc
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:24 pm

MalctheMailwasher wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:31 am
The issue is that emails I download into Thunderbird still show in Mailwasher. AND I just marked a bunch of emails for deletion on Mailwasher and it seems to have wiped them from Thunderbird also..... Recent Windows 10 Pro update also threw a spanner in the works as well I think.

Finally, emails are coming into Thunderbird without my interaction

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards
Malc
OK, so it sounds like TB and MW are both set to use IMAP. IMAP being an online email system, means that the programs are constantly interacting with the messages on the server.

In ThunderBird under Tools >> Account Settings >> select Server Settings >> uncheck 'Check for new messages at startup', 'Check for new messages every xx minute', and 'Allow Immediate server Notifications When New Messages Arrive' >> restart ThunderBird.
That will immediately stop ThunderBird bringing in the emails automatically, and to get your emails in, you just need to hit your 'Get Messages' button.

MailWasher when using IMAP will by default, check the Inbox folder only for Unread emails in the last 7 days. If you were to move a message from the INBOX in ThunderBird, or flag it as Read, delete it etc...then when MailWasher checks again it would not show those emails. You can some options under Settings >> Accounts >> Incoming >> Advanced >> chosing either to load Read emails, or a different timeframe of messages.

Optionally, you could remove the account from ThunderBird, add it back in, but when adding the account you need to choose to set it up manually and set the account to use POP instead. With POP you can set things to behave more how you probably remember it, where ThunderBird can download the emails and when it does this it deletes the copy on the server.
MalctheMailwasher
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 am

Many thanks rusticdog I shall see if I can tweak the settings although sky don't seem to do POP with Thunderbird anymore

Best Regards
Malc
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Sky use Yahoo and are implementing/forcing OAUTH. ThunderBird should work with that (MailWasher does not), though my understanding is using an App specific password allows non-OAUTH access.

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/mana ... ient=email

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”