not able to write to filters.txt

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
MarTD
Rattled Rabbit

not able to write to filters.txt

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:23 am

I've installed MailWasher Pro on a new computer running Vista. It's a 64 bit system, and MailWasher is running under Windows Explorer 32 bit. I downloaded the latest Mailwasher Pro and am able to run the program. However, I'm not able to set filters. I get an error message each time I turn off the program saying that access to filters.txt is denied, under the Roaming folder.

I haven't been able to find the error in the FAQs The error is stated as being [EFCreate error].

I've given administrator permission to the program, unchecked 'read only' in the properties' attributes. Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to learn to live with not having filters? Thanks.

Marie
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: not able to write to filters.txt

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:41 pm

If you go into the Roaming folder and delete the filters.txt file it should then work fine. It will recreate a new filters.txt file with proper permissions.

I take it no earlier version of MailWasher was installed on that machine ?
MarTD
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:30 pm

I've deleted the file, tested MailWasher out by adding a filter, and it is working. This system is a brand new replacement for my older one so there wasn't a previous version of MW on this particular machine. I'm glad to have it working the way it's supposed to once again.

Thank you for your help.

Marie
gastrad
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:09 am

MarTD wrote:I've deleted the file, tested MailWasher out by adding a filter, and it is working. This system is a brand new replacement for my older one so there wasn't a previous version of MW on this particular machine. I'm glad to have it working the way it's supposed to once again.

Thank you for your help.

Marie
Hello MarTD and everyone,

Under certain versions of VISTA, it is necessary to install MailWasher Pro to be Administrator to be more precise, one needs click on the file to be installed with the right button and to select "To carry out as an administrator".
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm

The other problem we were having also, which I think may have been the cause here.

During the MailWasher install it creates a filters.txt and blacklist.txt file and places them within C:\Program Files\Firetrust\MailWasher Pro\ and then moves the files to the users Application Data folder, and with the move process the file permissions are kept the same, the problem is under Vista, Program Files is a protected location and so the result is that the user will not have write permission to the files moved into Application Data.

The new installer though should not be doing this, but I will need to double check that given no previous install of MailWasher was located.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”