Importing address book/e-mails directly to Outlook

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
edzoo
Rattled Rabbit

Importing address book/e-mails directly to Outlook

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:47 am

I just re-installed Mailwasher after a hard drive crash and have two problems. The first is that it won't import my Outlook address book. I've run the wizard and it doesn't find anything.

The second problem is that although the e-mails are going to the Mailwasher, they are also going straight to my Outlook. Is it because the Outlook is open while the Mailwasher is working? Is it necessary to close and re-open the Outlook every time I check my mail?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Importing address book/e-mails directly to Outlook

Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 am

Second problem...

MW looks at the messages on your mail server and deletes the ones you don't want. If Outlook goes to the server and downloads messages before you have a chance to delete them in MW then it will get a load of spam.

The cure is to turn off automatic mail checking in Outlook, in two places, the scheduled checks and in the "when starting" options.

Then to minimize the spam problems do this:

check mail in MW
mark spam and delete it in MW
check mail in MW again (to check for new spam)
if there is no spam check in your mail program
edzoo
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Oh, duh! :oops: I should have been able to figure that out on my own! Thanks!

Now if I can get my address book imported I'll be in good shape!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:50 pm

We don't support importing the Outlook Contacts, if you have a whole lot of contacts, the roundabout way is to import the Contacts into a program like Outlook Express or Windows Mail, which uses the Windows Address Book, then MailWasher will see them when trying the wizard.

Otherwise just adding folk manually over time, as you see emails from them in MailWasher.
edzoo
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm

rusticdog wrote:We don't support importing the Outlook Contacts, if you have a whole lot of contacts, the roundabout way is to import the Contacts into a program like Outlook Express or Windows Mail, which uses the Windows Address Book, then MailWasher will see them when trying the wizard.

Otherwise just adding folk manually over time, as you see emails from them in MailWasher.
Ugh! That's a pain. I have used Mailwasher for years and always wondered why I could never import my address book from Outlook.Irritating, but at least now I have an answer. Thanks for responding!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”