Global SMTP server: Connection refused.

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Inky41
Rattled Rabbit

Global SMTP server: Connection refused.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 am

Problem:

When an attempt to forward spam to SpamCop the following message is returned -
Global SMTP server / SpamCop reporting / Connection was refused. Ensure that the SMTP server is correct.
- outgoing email goes through MSGTAG in order to receive confirmation of delivery. The smtp setting for both Mailwasher and Thunderbird is 'localhost'.
- sending from Thunderbird to SpamCop using my 'submit' address and 'localhost' completes successfully.
- reporting spam directly to the SpamCop site is successful.
- removing MSGTAG and using the 'true' smtp designation results in the same 'connection refused' message.
- no mail is bounced.
- Zone Alarm does not appear to be blocking related to this issue.
- Telus hardware firewall is not reporting blocking related to this issue.

Question:

- is it the outgoing or return email that is being stopped?
- is this a setup issue?
- any suggestions?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Global SMTP server: Connection refused.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:01 am

Try using a different SMTP server, this works for me.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?p=1540#p1540

Not so happy to hear you are using msgtag to spy on folks you e-mail, loading tracking codes on invisible graphics from a remote third party server is a spammer trick and any messages I get with that in them get a permanent blacklisting here.
Inky41
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Global SMTP server: Connection refused.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 am

stan_qaz wrote:Try using a different SMTP server, this works for me.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?p=1540#p1540

Not so happy to hear you are using msgtag to spy on folks you e-mail, loading tracking codes on invisible graphics from a remote third party server is a spammer trick and any messages I get with that in them get a permanent blacklisting here.
Never thought of a large message at the bottom of an email as 'spying' and it was handy to know that a friend had, in fact, received the information sent. On the other hand! The removal of MSGTAG and the restoration of smtp settings in Mailwasher and Thunderbird has resolved the problem of sending notices to SpamCop as well as issues receiving Mailwasher reports.

Thanks for the direction; the issue is resolved.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”