First time on the board need help

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Re: First time on the board need help

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 pm

hopla wrote:Also if I mess up on this message board please be forgiving as half of the time I am not really sure if I am doing or pushing the right thing.

Thanks, hopla
Welcome, hopla! You are definitely in the right place, because this is the kind of forum where people like to have newbies join. It's fun to see them become proficient. (I knew squat when I started, believe me.)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:49 pm

hopla
Mystified Moa

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:47 pm

stan_qaz wrote:Try here: http://www.iespell.com/

Hi stan_qaz,

I want to tank you for providing the link to the iespellcheck, I appreciate it but I hope I may trouble you another time.

I have gone to the page of the download and encountered this scenario below. I am sorry to say that I do not have a clue which of the lines of icon I should choose to download the spell-check. It says to use any of the icons but why the distinction of the different once. Also what is meant by secondary mirror?

Thank you for the help,

hopla

ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer
Download
Important - ieSpell is free for personal use only. Commercial use requires a separate license. See Licensing for more information.

Latest version - v2.5.1 (build 106) - 1.96MB - released 31st October 2006

To download, simply click on any one of the download icons in the table below.
Please see the Installation instructions and Usage instructions for help.

Download Server provided by (click to visit site)

download now! (Primary Mirror) CNET Download.com
download now! (Secondary Mirror) SimTel
download now! (Secondary Mirror) Major Geeks
download now! (US Mirror) hostultra
download now! (UK Mirror) acrosslimits

report a broken mirror!
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:17 pm

hopla wrote: It says to use any of the icons but why the distinction of the different once. Also what is meant by secondary mirror?
You'll see stuff like that a lot. If someone has a free program to distribute, he may not want to have a lot of data being downloaded from his own site, because it would be expensive. Instead, there are sites that will host those kinds of downloads for him, like download.com (CNET).

So he uses his website to explain what the program is, then puts links to the sites that actually host the download. There may be more than one site hosting, or "mirroring" his program -- so there are "secondary mirrors."

Any mirror should give you exactly the same download. If one is busy/slow, choose a different one. Or if you know one is located closer to you than another, pick that one so your download time is faster. If you're not sure, it really doesn't matter -- it just may take a couple minutes longer.

As far as clicking on the download icons -- he just means, click on the little picture ("icon") next to the name of the mirror to go to that download site.
hopla
Mystified Moa

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:
hopla wrote: It says to use any of the icons but why the distinction of the different once. Also what is meant by secondary mirror?
You'll see stuff like that a lot. If someone has a free program to distribute, he may not want to have a lot of data being downloaded from his own site, because it would be expensive. Instead, there are sites that will host those kinds of downloads for him, like download.com (CNET).

So he uses his website to explain what the program is, then puts links to the sites that actually host the download. There may be more than one site hosting, or "mirroring" his program -- so there are "secondary mirrors."

Any mirror should give you exactly the same download. If one is busy/slow, choose a different one. Or if you know one is located closer to you than another, pick that one so your download time is faster. If you're not sure, it really doesn't matter -- it just may take a couple minutes longer.

As far as clicking on the download icons -- he just means, click on the little picture ("icon") next to the name of the mirror to go to that download site.

Hi AlphaCentauri,

That was a quick answer to my question and a great lesson. I really learned something I had no clue about and am grateful for it.
Thank you for the simple to understand explanation for a novice like me.

Grateful,

hopla

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”