Access violation

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
geistman
Rattled Rabbit

Access violation

Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 pm

I am running MailWasher Pro Version 6.5.3 on a Windows 7 Ultimate system; my email client is Thunderbird, version 2.0.0.23. I am getting an error message as follows:
Title Bar: MailWasher Pro 6.5.3
Text: Access violation at address 004670F4 in module 'MailWasher.exe'. Read of address 00000004.

This seems to occur when I click on "Check Mail"; after that, if I click OK, the same error message appears again. When I click OK again, the MailWasher window reappears (it does not crash) but within several seconds the access violation error occurs again. The only way to stop it is to close MailWasher and then start it up again.

My antivirus product is Avast! Home Edition. Note that I am running MWPro on a second computer, also Win 7 Ultimate, with Outlook 2003 as my email client and Avast! as my antivirus, and am NOT having the problem described above. So it seems to me that the problem is related to Thunderbird. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

geistman
adrianus
Mystified Moa

Re: Access violation

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:38 am

I'm getting a similar problem on Windows Vista Ultimate 64 with Outlook 2007 SP2 and ESET ESS security suite: Access Violation at Address 0045AC9C in Module Mailwasher.exe Read Address of 000000000004

The problem seems to occur when I go to change the status of a message eg from SPAM to GOOD - or on slightly more detailed observation, just hovering the cursor over any message when the status bar is changing to the message "Mail was last checked x minutes ago" seems to be the trigger ...

Any ideas for resolution?
Kiwifan
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Getting the same error here on Windows 7 64 bit. As a side issue I have to manually close Mailwasher before shutting down or the PC will just hang on "Logging off". If I close MW then the PC will shutdown normally.

Cheers, Rusty.
geistman
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am

Does anyone from Firetrust monitoring this forum? If so, is there a solution to this MailWasher Pro crashing problem? I have already uninstalled MWPro from my system because of this.
Kiwifan
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:48 am

*Bump.* Any ideas Team?

Cheers, Rusty.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 am

Contact Firetrust support? support at firetrust.com
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Sorry you guys didn't get a reply, I was searching for this problem after someone else alerted me to it and I found this unanswered.

We'll take a look at this and get back to you
rronne
Mystified Moa

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:40 pm

I too have been getting Access Violation at Address 0045AC9C in Module Mailwasher.exe Read Address of 000000000004 for a number of months now and also with a couple of versions of Mailwasher Pro Now using ver. 6.5.3

I have found that if when I start getting the violation I first after clicking the OK to acknowledge the error I then quickly click the Recycle bin I can then close the recycle bin and can now select mail and change status without getting the violation for a time.

I am running Windows XP SP3 with Norton Internet Security 2009 - On this machine I run very few other programs.

Any Ideas? I would like to get this fixed but like I said before I have been living with the problem for many months now.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Sorry, we're still no closer to fixing this. If we could replicate it here then it would be a simple matter. We'll keep pressing on
wilpeter
Student Sheep

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:48 am

Are we any closer to solving this problem a year later? Got exact same error message just now. Using Mailwasher Free 6.5.2 and XP with Windows Live Mail as server. I have used MailWasher for several years without prior incident. The message was attached to a forum notification e-mail from CNet.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 pm

No unfortunately, we just can't reproduce it. We're releasing the public beta of the new rewritten MailWasher next week, so you're welcome to try it then
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:16 am

Can you go to the "About" dialog and tick the "enable extended error logging" box, and then the next time you see the problem(s) send us the "session log.txt" file out of the directory linked from that dialog box. Send it to nick.bolton@firetrust.com

Thanks
wilpeter
Student Sheep

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 am

I have done as Nick suggested and am awaiting a recurrence (or is that reoccurrence?) of the event. Will send when it occurs. Thanks.
wilpeter
Student Sheep

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 am

Have emailed Nick with the session.txt record of today's occurrence of that event. It stops me being able to Process Mail to the email client (Mozilla Thunderbird).
rronne
Mystified Moa

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I too get this error frequently. I will send the error to Nick
I was having a similar if not the exact same error previously with a different PC running WinXP sp3 The machine that I am running now is a virtual WinXP sp3 machine I do run RealVNC on this machine and I am questioning if that might have something to do with it.

I did find that if I opened the Recycle Bucket and then closed it then I could make my selections of Good or Spam and it will let me do that at least for a time without getting the error again, but then after I close out the RealVNC connecton for a time and go back that I will get the access violation again. This box was working for a couple of weeks without the slightest bit of problems before I started getting this problem but now I get it almost everytime I go back to Mailwasher.

I started getting the error with version 6.3b and then uninstalled that version and installed 6.5 still no luck at getting this to work.

My host machine is and HP e9700z with an AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor 2.80GHz running Window 7 with all the latest updates and the Virtualbox client that has the MailWasher program and RealVNC is running Windows XP sp3

Before this latest problems I had what at least appeared to be the same problem with another PC that was running Windows XP sp3 and I started to get that problem back at least with version 6.2.1 - then even after upgrading to 6.3b

That was when I decided to try Ver 6.3b on another machine - Thought I had the problem licked and it was gone for probably 3 weeks but now it is back.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”