New forum theme

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: Moldy font!

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:27 pm

rusticdog wrote:
Digerati wrote:Something funny is going on with the text colors (that's colours for those that can't spell - ;)). On three monitors and two computers here, there's some green stuff showing through "rin", in Catering, the "ll" in all, and "kin" in kinds. The "l" in Zealand is not white and Time has issues too.

I fired up an old CRT and with that, those same letters are a bit grayer, and may even flicker a bit.

Also, if you grab the right side of the window and make it less wide, the NZ Date/Time box sits on the Search boxes.
OK perhaps on some resolutions that text was too thin, I've bolded it, so see how it is now.

Cheers
Yeah, that worked for the text (except the same problem happens with "Advanced search"). The Date/Time box still has issues when resizing the window.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Moldy font!

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Digerati wrote:Yeah, that worked for the text (except the same problem happens with "Advanced search"). The Date/Time box still has issues when resizing the window.
Bolded that as well. The date/time placement is way beyond my knowledge, will get one of the smarter guys to take a look at that, we also need to rework all the icons that sit on the orange background, they aren't clean enough.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Re: New forum theme

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:05 am

we also need to rework all the icons that sit on the orange background, they aren't clean enough.
Not certain what you mean by that - I think they "look" fine. The problem (if it can be called that) is deciding what is a link or not. For example, at the bottom, there is no visible difference between "Delete all board cookies" and "All times are UTC" (discarding common sense that says "All times..." is not a link). Being highly skilled at exerting as little effort as possible, I prefer it when I can spot a link on the periphery, barely moving an eye muscle, by the underline, different color, or [blink][button][/blink](pretend that's a button). With no visual clues, you have to break, read the text and/or move the mouse to hover over every possible screen location just to see if it even is a link. I am lazy. For some folks, it hurts to move a finger.

To the right of this text entry box, I see two links, Topic review and BBCode - one is bold, the other is not.
FTR - while I really would like to visit Mordor, I mean New Zealand someday, right now and nothing personal, I really don't care what time it is where you live! If looking at percentages, how many FT customers actually get any benefit from displaying NZ time? I mean, it was neat to see the difference, but now it is not. For me, it is only 8am, Monday morning the 20th, the start of our day. For a relatively few in NZ, and what I see is 2am on Tuesday the 21st. Tuesday? How is that helpful to caffeine deprived brains on Monday mornings? Or at any other time? That area now serves no purpose at all for the vast majority of FT forum users, and in fact, is counter to what you want because now, it is something to ignore! :?

I would like to see that replaced with my local time. Not only is that less confusing, it is convenient for customers to have the "correct" date and time for them, and it gives them assurance they have set the time zone correctly in their profiles. If it is necessary to have NZ time, then add another line for "Local Time".
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 am

The NZ time lets folks know that it is night or a weekend in NZ and not to expect a response from firetrust until Monday morning their time. Don't most folks have the local time showing on their task bar?

The All Times are UTC... is from your profile, that is a bit confusing for many, since most of the time zones in the profile have an area name shown with them. It might be worth swapping that for a local time display even linking it to the profile so it would be easy to change.

I think he means the icons mentioned are the ones at the far right of the orange bar for text size and RSS. They could use something to make them stand out better, especially the RSS one, maybe a blue border.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:27 am

stan_qaz wrote:The NZ time lets folks know that it is night or a weekend in NZ and not to expect a response from firetrust until Monday morning their time.
Not gonna buy that one. That fine for FT's Technical Support Page where I see a similar NZ date/time display just for the purpose you state. But the forums are open 24/7 - and if someone starts bumping their posts every 10 minutes because NZ is asleep, someone else will be giving them a talking too about patience and forum etiquette. Besides, if I look at the member list, sure RD has the most posts, but you are not far behind, and I note several others are on or near the Central Time Zone. So chances are, if it's Thursday morning our time, we already know RD has already cut out early on Friday afternoon and hitting the Pubs - and you, AC, Q1, Ike, will be wide awake, and likely on line ready to offer some more parsley, err, sage advice.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Hardly important, but I added a few more smileys.

They still need to be ordered nicely so they display a bit better, but it's almost midnight and I really shouldn't be on the laptop.

:single :jerking

:lame
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:27 am

Could you look at making the PM indicator up at the top of the page a bit more obvious/different when there are unread messages, I'm finding I don't notice new messages right off.
Digerati
Microsoft MVP

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:37 am

stan_qaz wrote:Could you look at making the PM indicator up at the top of the page a bit more obvious/different when there are unread messages, I'm finding I don't notice new messages right off.
You can alway enable the Popup for new PMs.
Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
─────────────────────
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:55 am

Ah! found it under board global settings, I went looking at the PM options before I posted and didn't see anything there.

That should solve the problem for me.
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 am

lol I was gonna do a theme for this board, but have been somewhat distracted with my personal life, so haven't been online much lately. Good job I stuck it on the back burner - this one is looking great! :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am

MysteryFCM wrote:lol I was gonna do a theme for this board, but have been somewhat distracted with my personal life, so haven't been online much lately. Good job I stuck it on the back burner - this one is looking great! :)
Awesome, glad you like it, took me a lot of delegation to get it done :)
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 am

hehe :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:58 am

Just a couple minor issues;

1. There should be a better spacer (dark HR between posts perhaps?)
2. The "Online" image isn't displayed correctly in IE6 (haven't checked IE7)
Attachments
imgFT_Forum_Error.gif
imgFT_Forum_Error.gif (2.73 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:04 am

I'm sure the Online tag used to display right.

I'll see also about between the posts, maybe just a little more space, or slight tweaks to the alternating colours as well would work
MysteryFCM
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:31 am

heh no worries ........ just figured I'd mention it :)
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts

Return to “General Site”