Copying files from one computer to another on a home network

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
mlrichardson
Active Albatross

Copying files from one computer to another on a home network

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 am

I’m trying to copy files from my computer to my wife’s computer over a home network. Her computer lost its partition tables. We were able to recover the files from the hard drive, but couldn’t restore the partition tables, which meant we had to just wipe her drive and start over again. Now that all the applications are installed, I want to copy the data back, but I’m having a hard time.

Both computers are in the same workgroup, both computers have common users. I thought that was all I needed, but the big issue is an error message I get when I try to find the computers within the workgroup (My Network Places/View Workgroup computers):
(workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.
I can issue the same command from my wife's computer and see both computers in the workgroup. BUT, I can't copy in either direction, and I have to believe it's because of the problem associated with the error message.

Can anyone tell me why I get this message? It’s my understanding once I can see both computers in the workgroup, the rest is just a matter of making the connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Richardson
MS Windows 10 Pro
Vipre Internet Security
Firefox 27.0, Thunderbird 24.3.0, MWPro, WP Office X3

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain
G4IJL
Rattled Rabbit

Re: Copying files from one computer to another on a home net

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:35 am

You have a problem with shared documents. It [shared documents] is shared on the machine, but not on the LAN (Intranet {not note WAN Internet}). You may need to set up file and printer sharing on your LAN. I hope you have a router (and its protection) or you will share with WAN and everyone and I mean planet Earth :facepalm

Instructions of how to do this are in your machines help files and also at Micro$oft. :thumbsup

However please be aware of the security issues. :rant If one machine gets mall-ware it can get propagated all around the LAN, so each individual machine needs an up to date virus cleanser etc. and firewall :barf

I have shared my LAN around the computers here but have suffered mall-ware. So Friday night is scanning night and updating night along with a drink, nuts and a good film/video on the telly while occasionally attending to the update and scanning job on all the computers in one massive clear out and armour plate job. Oh yes if all else fails there is floppy-net or in a more modern time a USB hard drive carried around :idea:

Return to “General Tech. Help”