Cryptic error message H835 & H833 & Learning Filter disabled

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Phil Lee
It begins with a single step

Cryptic error message H835 & H833 & Learning Filter disabled

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm

I have been using Mailwasher Pro 6.5.3 with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit since the day Windows 7 was released and have had no problems with it until last Friday. I have started to get the following problem.

1. Mailwasher starts, minimised to the system tray
2. Double click on system tray icon to open Mailwasher and get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Error

An internal error has occurred: Cryptic error message H835

(Note: You have not done anything wrong)
I click OK and see the same message with the code H833. I then see the following message:

Code: Select all

The Learning features of MailWasher Pro have been disabled due to the following error: Cannot open file "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MailwasherPro\Training\Training archive - junk.rot135". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
NB: actual username is shown in the path. I click OK and the Mailwasher window appears.

3. I click on the X on the Mailwasher window. It minimises to the system tray but leaves behind a partially rendered form with the title "MainForm". I cliclk on the X on this form and MailWasher shuts down.

I have tried deleting the rot135 file, deleting the Training folder, deleting the MailWasher appdata folder, reinstalling MailWasher, removing all MailwWasher registry entries in HKCU\Software and HKLM\Software then reinstalling, all without success. I did a search here and noted that others have had the problem but not had it resolved so I am posting this information in the hope that someone will be able to provide a solution. I have also emailed this information to tech support.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Cryptic error message H835 & H833 & Learning Filter disabled

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 am

You've done all the things I'd suggest. A full uninstall/reinstall really should correct anything like this.
It shouldn't be possible to have two copies of MailWasher running, but check the task manager just in case as maybe one process is locking the other out.

Should that not be the case I'd probably uninstall again, making sure you remove personal data (should be a prompt on uninstall) and also make sure the Training folder is removed. If the uninstaller fails to remove this then just delete it manually.
raykirkwood
Rattled Rabbit

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I have had the same problem over several update versions of Mailwasher Pro. The fault is intermittent. Sometimes several days ok, then irritation. Windows 7, Quad Intel Processor, nominal 4 Gb RAM. Used to occur with Vista too. Would be good for developers to investigate this and fix.
webmistress32
Rattled Rabbit

Tue May 11, 2010 2:29 am

I have been having the same issue - does Removing everything and re-installing fix it? My problem is I'd rather not lose all of my learned responses that I've been working on for ... oh ... four years.
If I have to remove and reinstall, how do I save all that stuff and re-apply it to my new installation?

Thanks. Laura
T-Mon

Re: Cryptic error message H835 & H833 & Learning Filter disa

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:14 am

I ran into this problem and made multiple attempts to fix it following the various bits of advice found here on the forum. I uninstalled and reinstalled Mailwasher multiple times, at various points deleting the Mailwasher data directory and/or cleaning the registry of Firetrust/Mailwasher entries, and still the problem recurred every time at start up -- regardless of whether I started Mailwasher manually or at boot in Windows 7.

After much trial and error, I finally solved the problem by removing the checkmark next to "Minimize Mailwasher Free at Startup." I have no idea why that worked, but it did. Guess I'll just minimize it manually from now on.
wildcat
Rattled Rabbit

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 am

I am using Mailwasher free and also using Process Lasso. I found that if I excluded Mailwasher from Process Lasso restraint, the error H835 and the associated problems with Learning were no longer occurring and Mailwasher ran normally.
Jinxit
Rattled Rabbit

Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 am

T-Mon wrote:I ran into this problem and made multiple attempts to fix it following the various bits of advice found here on the forum. I uninstalled and reinstalled Mailwasher multiple times, at various points deleting the Mailwasher data directory and/or cleaning the registry of Firetrust/Mailwasher entries, and still the problem recurred every time at start up -- regardless of whether I started Mailwasher manually or at boot in Windows 7.

After much trial and error, I finally solved the problem by removing the checkmark next to "Minimize Mailwasher Free at Startup." I have no idea why that worked, but it did. Guess I'll just minimize it manually from now on.

Thanks for this. It worked for me too. Just to add I only had this problem after installing IE9
leesie
Rattled Rabbit

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 am

I just started having this problem as well. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. Deleting the file and reinstalling has not helped. Unchecking the option to minimize mailwasher free on startup does seem to have solved the problem, thank you!
I also noticed this after updating to IExplore9.
mmheitzman

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 am

My father had this same problem. Windows 7, IE9. Unchecking the minimize box did not solve the problem. I did however find the answer to the problem. Since the files have been corrupted in some way, you must get rid of all these files. This requires unistall and do not save the files when asked if you want to do this during install. You want to remove all parts of Mailwasher. After install is complete you must go into REGEDIT and delete all references to firetrust and mailwasher. You should not do this unless you are familiar with the regedit program. This edits your computers registry. Once all references to firetrust and mailwasher have been removed, then re-install mailwasher. You will have to do all the set-up again and reteach the friends and blacklists, but all will be back to normal.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks for posting the update.

You can clear the registry entries using the procedure here: http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 446#p21446 This should save you having to use regedit.
Windows 10
anglos

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:50 pm

The issue is definitely caused by IE9 - I tried all of the above to try and fix the problem - unchecking the "start minimised" box worked, but I found the better solution was to uninstall IE9 (which is a heap of crap anyway) and revert to IE8 ..... MaiIWasher behaves perfectly again (including minimised startup) :D

To uninstall IE9 in both Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click 'View installed updates' in the left pane.

Under 'Uninstall an update', scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Right-click 'Windows Internet Explorer 9', click 'Uninstall', and then, when prompted, click 'Yes'.

After uninstalling, you will need to reboot - Windows will automatically revert to the previous version of IE, which is part of the OS.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:48 pm

anglos wrote:The issue is definitely caused by IE9
I'd like to take a look at his face when Bill Gates drops by, here - BTW, I also discovered that formatting the OS to FreeDOS and and then preserving it in that state solves MWP issues and all other unsolvable bugs (including zero-day futuristic vulnerabilities.) :idea:
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
harrym1byt

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:17 am

If restore is active, restoring to a time just before this error appeared fixed it for me.

I had a rare system crash yesterday, which seemed to cause the problem - restoring it to the day before fixed it.

I am not using IE9.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”