Can't Restore From Recycle Bin

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Can't Restore From Recycle Bin

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm running MailWasher Pro 2010, 1.0.27 on Win XP SP3.
While experimenting with the filters I ended up with some good e-mails in the Recycle Bin. When I "Restored" them, I got back the following:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<********@kingston.net>
(reason: 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 64.18.2.61) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE

This is beyond me. What can I do to have my deleted mails restored?

Thanks,
An Old-timer trying to keep up.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Can't Restore From Recycle Bin

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 am

Old-Timer wrote:I'...When I "Restored" them, I got back the following:
<********@kingston.net>
(reason: 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 64.18.2.61) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE...
This looks like one of those nice cryptical messages from your provider's mailserver... what do you have at: settings>>accounts>>outgoing ? According to Domain Crawler one of the following could be valid for your kingston.net account:
  • rbsinternet.com.s7a1.psmtp.com
    rbsinternet.com.s7a2.psmtp.com
    rbsinternet.com.s7b1.psmtp.com
    rbsinternet.com.s7b2.psmtp.com
Your provider should have given the right info, but failing that you could use the trial and error method and see wich one of the above works (if any) :roll: ..
Succes!!
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 am

Old-Timer wrote: ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<********@kingston.net>
(reason: 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 64.18.2.61) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE
That looks like your ISP is running a program on their server to prevent folks that are infested with Windows cooties from sending batches of spam messages and also to prevent folks from sending messages that do not indicate that they are the sender in the headers.

I spent some time looking but didn't see any further information on your error on the website but if you send that clip to your support folks they should be able to tell you if it is going to be possible to use the restore feature with their servers or not. If it isn't going to be possible it is no big deal as you can set up a free Gmail account and use their SMTP server to do the restores, instructions are posted here somewhere so if you need them try the search tool or post back if you can't find them.

------------------------------

A side note here, looking at the bottom of the Kingston AUP page and how they treat abuse on their TOS page you'd best not try out the bounce feature or you could get fined and have your account terminated. Do call and talk with them before you risk it as the MW bounce tool does not determine the true sender of the spam and instead sends the spam to the person that the spammer has chosen to mailbomb making you a party to their crime. If they file a complaint (only takes a couple clicks to do that) you could have a real mess on your hands.

http://www.wtccommunications.ca/info/aup.php
Forgery or impersonation: Adding, removing or modifying identifying network header information in any manner in an effort to deceive or mislead is prohibited. Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information is prohibited. The use of anonymous remailers or nicknames is discouraged but does not constitute impersonation.
http://www.wtccommunications.ca/info/tos.php
(c) Violation of System/Network Security. WTC reserves the right to pursue civil or criminal action against the Customer and to co­operate with law enforcement in actions including:

3. Interfering with Service to any other user, host or network including, posting/transmitting information or software containing a virus, lock, key, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful or debilitating feature, mail bombing, flooding, hacking, broadcast attacks and deliberate or negligent attempts to overload the system;

4. Forging TCP-IP pack header or any part of the header information in an email or newsgroup posting;

If the WTC is involved in a security violation investigation, an “Investigation Fee” of not less than $50 will be charged to the Customer’s account for the second security violation and may result in immediate suspension or termination of Customer's account.
There is more detail here that also applies to bouncing but is a bit long to post, leave it at they will fine you and terminate your service if they get complaints.
(f) Email, Usenet and Voice Mail Facilities.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:44 pm

Right, I'm pretty sure the problem here is that MailWasher is 'forging' information. I don't think it actually qualifies as being forged given the context here, but most ISP technicians would no doubt disagree :)

When you send an email, the sending program (in this case MailWasher) establishes the MAIL FROM during the command phase, this is to indicate who is sending the email.
e.g.
Once the various commands are all accepted, MailWasher sends the actual email content using the DATA command
e.g
DATA
To: coffee@yobank.com
Subject: Rolex For You
Message-Id: <20101106124814.6972160E0A3@firetrust.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:48:14 +1300 (NZDT)

This is some text of the email

Now you can see the MAIL FROM in the first and the From in the second example don't match, this is because we try to keep as much of the message intact as possible. Because it is me sending the email that's why the MAIL FROM says as such (of course assuming I am coffee@yobank.com), but because I am restoring an email that was originally sent from someone else, MailWasher uses the original senders address no-reply@rolex.com

It would seem to be that they are checking these are matching, which is the first time I recall seeing this, but it would explain the error

Code: Select all

From and Envelope From must both be local domains
The quickest (and probably the most effective) solution in the short term, would be to try using another SMTP service provider. You could sign up for a free GMail account, and use the GMail SMTP settings to send your emails in MailWasher. If you want to do that, let us know and we can provide more details.

Another option would be to contact the ISP and see if they can relax this policy.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:46 pm

rusticdog wrote:Right, I'm pretty sure the problem here is that MailWasher is 'forging' information. I don't think it actually qualifies as being forged given the context here, but most ISP technicians would no doubt disagree :)
Suddenly seeing the same problem here also... reverted to Gmails SMTP server to solve this temporarily. Appearently my standard E-mail provider (XS4all) has just "tightened" their policies. Doubt if the'll loosen those, just for FT's sake.. :twisted:
MWP FAQ
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:53 pm

racker wrote:
rusticdog wrote:Right, I'm pretty sure the problem here is that MailWasher is 'forging' information. I don't think it actually qualifies as being forged given the context here, but most ISP technicians would no doubt disagree :)
Suddenly seeing the same problem here also... reverted to Gmails SMTP server to solve this temporarily. Appearently my standard E-mail provider (XS4all) has just "tightened" their policies. Doubt if the'll loosen those, just for FT's sake.. :twisted:

The exact same error ?
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

rusticdog wrote:The exact same error ?
Just tried to repeat the error to check that... Today restoring through smtp.xs4all.nl seems to work again. Must heve been a temporary hiccup in their system :scratch . I remember an errormessage having something to do with an illegal envelope... Sorry, should have noted that yesterday when it occurred, but hey... it was late then. :dead Will get back if this happens again.

Edit: Just tried to restore a spam message that was originally sent to my Gmail, while the restore address has been set to smtp.xs4all.nl. Appearently MWP failed to restore this through the original (Gmail) smtp and didn't fallback to xs4all as I understand it should have... :(

Log reads:

Description: An unknown error has occurred. MailWasher is unable to determine the cause of this error.

Diagnosis: <EVENT><NAME>MWPEXCEPTION</NAME><ID>8816113c30a4c477ada44aea0282bade</ID><DT>2010-12-02 08:45:15</DT><MWPEXCEPTION><UID>Exception 4efe635aa2832eb1a95addc4f69667a5</UID><AID>*</AID><SOURCE>SMTPservice::SendEmailList</SOURCE><MESSAGE>StdException - SMTP login failed</MESSAGE><ADDXML><TYPE>SMTPSENDLIST</TYPE><HOST>smtp.gmail.com</HOST><PORT>25</PORT><ACCOUNT_TEXT>Restore</ACCOUNT_TEXT><ACCOUNT>*</ACCOUNT><USER>[my.name********@gmail.com</USER><LOGINTYPE>5</LOGINTYPE><SSLMODE>0</SSLMODE></ADDXML></MWPEXCEPTION><ORDINAL>0</ORDINAL></EVENT>
MWP FAQ
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:12 am

Thank you all for your input and especially to Stan & rusticdog.

Both mentioned using Gmail and since I already have a Gmail account, I think I'd like to try this route. What are the steps to have MW automatically send any restored messages to my Gmail address. I tried to do it on my own but I got into a mess and had to undo everything (as often happens when I don't really understand what needs to be done). :(
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:58 pm

--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks Stan - I've got some questions and I ran into some problems:

1) In Gmail Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > I enabled "Forward a copy of incoming mail to:" "my SM address (marked (in use)". In "POP Download" I enabled "POP for all mail (even mail . . . .)". I didn't "Configure your email client (eg Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail)" as I thought that was what the MW setting you gave me were all about. In "IMAP Access" I disabled IMAP.

2) In MW Settings, I added a new Email Account :"Gmail" and Email Address: "my Gmail address" [or should this be my SM address? Do I enable: "Include in default mail check"?

3) I selected a message from the Recycle Bin and clicked "Restore".
Confirmation - "Restore Mail" complete
User Action - "Check Mail" request
Error - Failed to log into POP3 server

Can you spot my error(s)?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm not sure you want your Gmail to forward to your other account, that can get confusing when you end up with two copies of your messages and your other account may have issues with restored messages.

#2 - that should be your gmail address, everything for this account should be set to your gmail settings.

Did you set the MW POP security and port settings?

Did you set up the MW outgoing server tab?

Gmail setup:
POP Settings:
Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)

MW Settings:
Incoming Mail: (POP) Server pop.gmail.com
User Name: Just the part ahead of the @ or the whole address seems to work
Port: 995
--
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
--
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:53 pm

- I disabled "Forwarding" "to my SM address", in Gmail setting >"Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
- Everything else is set per your instructions
- Selected a message in "Recycle Bin" and "Restored". Received the same return mail message in MW as before(see below):

The original message was received at Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:18:51 -0500
from dsl-rb-64-118-20-149.wtccommunications.ca [61.123.19.194]

<*****@kingston.net>
(reason: 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 62.13.2.73) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE (<*****@kingston.net>) (zhuaihua@zpmc.com))

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to kingston.net.mail9.psmtp.com.:
>>> >>> DATA
<<< 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 62.13.2.73) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE (<*****@kingston.net>) (zhuaihua@zpmc.com)
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.kingston.net
Received-From-MTA: DNS; dsl-rb-61-123-19-194.wtccommunications.ca
Arrival-Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:18:51 -0500

Final-Recipient: RFC822; *****@kingston.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; kingston.net.mail9.psmtp.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 Failure From and Envelope from must both be local domains add (g_from_allow_ip 62.13.2.73) or remove G_FROM_NOFORGEME and G_FROM_NOFORGE (<*****@kingston.net>) (zhuaihua@zpmc.com)
Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 23:18:56 -0500

Log: - Error: Unknown Error
- Error: Failed to log into POP3 server.

Obviously I'm still doing something wrong. Any suggestions?
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem, but I just discovered that when I went back to MW and clicked on "Check Mail -All", the message line at the the bottom of the screen read: "Logging in to Personal Account". Then I got the log error:"Failed to log into POP3 server". Why is my "Personal Account" involved? Shouldn't it have cycled first through my 1st account "General Account"? Shouldn't this error be for my "Gmail Account"?

Very confusing. I hope it sheds some light on what I've done.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

It looks like you are trying to restore from your kingston account, are you sure you changed the outgoing server to point to gmail instead of the kingston server?

The "personal account" is what you entered for the name of one of your accounts, it is showing an a POP error so it is an incoming account and has nothing to do with outgoing (SMTP) mail.
--
Old-Timer
Student Sheep

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm

WOW ! and I thought I had a general idea of what I was doing! I hope you'll stay with me until I can get this process corrected.

You say "it looks like I'm trying to restore from my kingston account". I thought this was what needed to be done because SPAM comes into one of my 2 accounts (named "General Account" and "Personal Account" in MW) and therefore need to be restored from them, ie., "restored" messages go from my kingston accounts to my gmail account. Obviously I'm way off base with this, right?

I guess I really don't understand how to set "Restored" messages so that they're sent to my gmail address. I though that setting up a new account in MW (which I named "Gmail" and set up according to the instructions) would do it.

I didn't realize there was any difference between an incoming account and outgoing (SMTP) mail. I thought they were somehow tied together. I suspect that this is another reason why my settings are wrong - I don't know how to switch to use the outgoing SMTP gmail !

I think I'm going down for the third time! Is there still hope?

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”