Firetrust Forum PM Problemss

Questions or comments related to the website and forums. Please no questions related to MailWasher
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Firetrust Forum PM Problemss

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Why is it that when I bring up the PM proforma it always shows my username as a recipient? I have to remove the username before I can send the mail but, if I do and then preview my message, it returns and has to be removed again. Does this happen for everybody or just for me? I get a similar effect in at least one other forum and I'm wondering if it has something to do with my Vista/IE8 settings.
Last edited by johno on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
johno
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Forum PMs

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Mine just shows blank with a search option on the second line. However if you click on a members name it is put in the send to field. If you want S/C let me know.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:31 am

Pierre wrote:Mine just shows blank with a search option on the second line. However if you click on a members name it is put in the send to field. If you want S/C let me know.
Mine comes up like this:
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (26.59 KiB) Viewed 17156 times
I can only send the PM if I clear the 'johno' just prior to submitting.
johno
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:39 am

How are you getting to the private-message screen, what links are you clicking?

If I get there by clicking the PM button on a post or a person's user name and then the PM option that name is filled in for me automatically, means if I click the PM on one of my posts I get my name filled in which is a bit strange unless I want to talk to myself. I also get a quote of the post I clicked in the body of the PM.

If I post a PM from the User Control Panel link at the top of the page I get a blank PM to work with.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:02 am

stan_qaz wrote:How are you getting to the private-message screen, what links are you clicking?

If I post a PM from the User Control Panel link at the top of the page I get a blank PM to work with.
That's what I do as a rule. If I want to include message text, I generally select and copy it prior to pasting it into my new message.
johno
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:36 am

What happens if you click one of the PM buttons?
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:48 pm

A bit weird. This is what shows on mine.
PM screen.jpg
PM screen.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 17144 times

johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm

stan_qaz wrote:What happens if you click one of the PM buttons?
As far as I know, all the buttons work and I can certainly send messages. It's just that whatever action I take seems to bring my username back in to the 'To' field so that I have to select it and delete it before I can actually send the message. :thumbsdown
johno
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Using the menus to open a PM I get what Pierre did.

Here is what I got clicking your PM button:
pm-1.png
pm-1.png (40.04 KiB) Viewed 17141 times

Clicking my PM button:
pm-2.png
pm-2.png (45.52 KiB) Viewed 17141 times
Are you using the Firetrust forum theme? I don't think the others are fully debugged and that might be it.
--
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 pm

stan_qaz wrote:What happens if you click one of the PM buttons?
Sorry, misunderstood you. Here's waht I get if I click on your PM button.
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (131.06 KiB) Viewed 17134 times
Incidentally, how should I reduce a full screen (snipping tool) image so it will fit in the page here? I can do it with Paint but it comes out very grainy.
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (131.06 KiB) Viewed 17134 times
For some reason, doing this has duplicated the first image and screwed up the structure of the post :crazy :crazy :scratch
Attachments
Capture II.gif
Capture II.gif (58.64 KiB) Viewed 17134 times
johno
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:33 pm

stan_qaz wrote:Using the menus to open a PM I get what Pierre did.

Here is what I got clicking your PM button:
pm-1.png

Clicking my PM button:
pm-2.png
Are you using the Firetrust forum theme? I don't think the others are fully debugged and that might be it.
Firetrust forum theme :scratch :scratch Wassat?
johno
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't know what he is talking about. :dunno May be wait till RD sobers up after his Xmas drinks. :beer

For clearer images use 'Irfanview' a free bee and slip in paint.net as well to add text etc.

stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:14 am

That first screenshot looks good to me, it has me as the addressee of the PM. I don't see the forum offering to add my username to the PM as yours does but having your name in the search/add field does prevent the PM from being sent if I add it myself. So I'd say the looks are deceiving and there is a glitch rusticdog is going to have to dig out and to make it more fun it doesn't bite everyone.

Theme setting here:
theme-1.png
theme-1.png (66.98 KiB) Viewed 17126 times
Switch to that theme and see if the PM problem alters, that would give rusticdog a starting point to do his digging and fixing once his "holiday cheer" level has subsided and he can focus both eyes at the same time.

On posting images I have the best luck uploading them and then using the "place inline" button.

Code: Select all

[attachment=0]theme-1.png[/attachment]
That works better than just letting the forum hang them onto the end of the message which it does if they aren't specifically placed inline. Then too the forum will add scroll-bars to the image and not hose the forum layout for large images.

Trimming images I use the gimp since I'm fairly good at using a subset of it's functions. http://www.gimp.org/ Windows version: http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Quietone has posted a better windows screenshot program, beta forum I think. I looked at it but decided for my rig that was too much hassle since I run MW in a window on my Linux box and the Linux screenshot program was easier to use and upload from.
--
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:40 am

stan_qaz wrote:That first screenshot looks good to me, it has me as the addressee of the PM. I don't see the forum offering to add my username to the PM as yours does but having your name in the search/add field does prevent the PM from being sent if I add it myself. So I'd say the looks are deceiving and there is a glitch rusticdog is going to have to dig out and to make it more fun it doesn't bite everyone.
It's this thing about it adding my username, not just when I click on PM but every time I make any subsequent changes, that I'm carping on about :thumbsdown :rant
Theme setting here:
The attachment theme-1.png is no longer available
Switch to that theme and see if the PM problem alters, that would give rusticdog a starting point to do his digging and fixing once his "holiday cheer" level has subsided and he can focus both eyes at the same time.
And here is my equivalent, not so very different from yours:
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (39.91 KiB) Viewed 17105 times
On posting images I have the best luck uploading them and then using the "place inline" button.

Code: Select all

[attachment=1]theme-1.png[/attachment]
That works better than just letting the forum hang them onto the end of the message which it does if they aren't specifically placed inline. Then too the forum will add scroll-bars to the image and not hose the forum layout for large images.
That's what I do but when I have a too-large image the horizontal scroll bar just doesn't turn up for me :thumbsdown

Trimming images I use the gimp since I'm fairly good at using a subset of it's functions. http://www.gimp.org/ Windows version: http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Quietone has posted a better windows screenshot program, beta forum I think. I looked at it but decided for my rig that was too much hassle since I run MW in a window on my Linux box and the Linux screenshot program was easier to use and upload from.
I know QO and AnnieB use Snagit but it isn't free so I haven't looked too closely at it yet.

PS: One clue for RD here might just be that when I construct a large post like this one I have a heck of a job working down at its bottom few lines. Everything is fine up to certain number of lines etc but then the vertical slider starts going haywire and jumping back up every time I try to add text near the end. The only way I have been able to add this paragraph has been by inserting it at the beginning and using ctrl/x to delete it and ctrl/v down at the bottom to insert it there. I have then had to use Preview to check whether everything at the bottom is as I intended. If I find it's not, I'm in trouble because I then cannot edit it :thumbsdown
johno
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 am

To get the scroll bars to show in a post with a large image you have to double-click it.

I'm having no problems posting stuff, using Firefox 3.6.13 on Linux, what browser are you using?
--

Return to “General Site”