Waste of money

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
exatc
Mystified Moa

Waste of money

Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 am

I cannot see one thing that Mailwasher Pro has improved. I guess I'm a dummy since I cannot add any other email accounts. GIGO
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Waste of money

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:10 am

No idea what you are talking about, how many accounts are you trying to add? I don't know the maximum is for Version 6 but it is somewhere over 40, more with some minor hassles.

You might try telling us what version of MW you were using before and what version you are using now as well as letting us know the details of the problem you are having. Lots of folks willing to share their problem here get it fixed here. We don't have to send all that many on to the free support that registered MW users are able to use but that is always an option.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
exatc
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 am

I'm sorry Stan. My frustration level has been exceptionally high. I was so pleased with the free version (which I have highly recommended)I figured the Pro would be exceptional. I upgraded within the past two weeks. I have received nothing in the way of instructions/information from Mailwasher. All I got was a thank you for upgrading. It acquired my primary email account automatically (RoadRunner). I tried for days to add a Hotmail account. After many attempts I got it to recognize it only to have it tell me they do not allow Mailwasher access to their mail. I have no idea how to set up a Yahoo email or any other that I have acquired over the years. I haven't even tried a Gmail account. The lack of instructions for a new user is ridiculous. or even guidance to find info.
Thanks for listening to my rants
Al
exatc
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 am

Mailwasher Pro 6.3
Huldin-the-Goth
Student Sheep

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Exatc,

Microsoft have changed the original delivery system used to deliver Hotmail to a new download system. The result of this is that Outlook Express and MailWasher Pro can no longer download Hotmail emails. They have however produced free software to replace Outlook Express and this is called Windows Live Mail. It has a Junk Mail filter built into the programme.

This can be found at the following address:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

It can also handle multiple email accounts.

I hope that this helps you.

8)
exatc
Mystified Moa

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Thanks. This just reinforces my statement that Mailwasher Pro was and is a waste of money. It is a shame they call this an upgrade. I would be embarrased to take a consumers money under false pretenses. OBTW it isn't only Hotmail I am concerned about.
BUYER BEWARE

Al
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Well if you want to access places that won't let any e-mail program they don't own download your mail then you are right, MW is pretty worthless for that.

On the other hand MW does a decent job of downloading from places that offer POP or IMAP mail in accordance with the open Internet standards.

Adding Gmail is as simple as logging into Gmail, turning on the POP access under the Gmail settings page and putting the information shown there into MW, both POP and SMTP work with no problems, I haven't tried IMAP but it looks to be about the same setup.

Yahoo should work if you have their Mail Plus ($20 per year) service that supports POP. http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/c ... op-08.html

I couldn't get into the Hotmail support section, they may have issues with my Linux box, so I can't help there. Bet they'd barf a rainbow if I tried to get in with my Linux version of Mailwasher! :-)

What is even better is that if you have issues with a POP or SMTP server (from a real ISP, not a home brew one) you can send a problem report and MW logs to the support folks and they will try to get things working in the next release of MW. So far they have done two custom setups (in the MW account checking code) for me over the years.

No charge, no hassle just darned good support.

You said The lack of instructions for a new user is ridiculous. or even guidance to find info. I can't understand that at all. I've found the MW help screens quite useful, the support section of the www.firetrust.com site is very good too, it even offers contacts for professional support, which comes free with your purchase of MW. The wiki (link below) has lots of good user to user info as does this forum. I sure can't fault them for lack of support, with all the options available anyone that wants a solution can find one or get their problem on the "fixit" list for a quick patch from support or in an upcoming release.

So there are help screens, a web site, forums, an e-mail address, a phone number and wiki, what more did you expect in the way of support?
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

He wants hotmail to support other email programs, and he needs to take up that issue with Microsoft. Good luck with that. They only just started to allow people to view their mail with anything other than Internet Explorer. They provide the service free in exchange for users having to visit their site and view ads.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 pm

exatc wrote:Thanks. This just reinforces my statement that Mailwasher Pro was and is a waste of money. It is a shame they call this an upgrade. I would be embarrased to take a consumers money under false pretenses. OBTW it isn't only Hotmail I am concerned about.
BUYER BEWARE

Al

I think your statements are a bit rough Al, but I'm not going to bother arguing or try to appease you when you clearly aren't happy....uninstall it, ask for a refund.
Taken From http://firetrust.com/products/mailwashe ... washer-pro
If you're not happy with your purchase of MailWasher Pro, at any time in the next 180 days, we'll give you a full, no questions asked money back guarantee.

Locking this thread as this isn't a democracy

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”