This company is spamming us with our own address

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
PA.Dutchman
Travelling Tuatara

This company is spamming us with our own address

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:19 am

This site is spamming us with our own address, kovopug.com. I have tried writing them and sending them emails to stop. They will not go through. I have written to my PA Senators and our Attorney General. It would take time but they are willing to take it to task.

I don't want to change our email address now, we have had it for years and changing things now would be a nightmare. If I make it a address to avoid on Mail Masher it is our address that is banded.

kovopug.com
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: This company is spamming us with our own address

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:45 am

This is a common issue with a simple fix.

1. Remove your own address from the friends list.
2. Create a filter that looks at the entire From: line in a message you send and marks matches legitimate.
3. Create a filter that looks at just the From: e-mail address and marks matches as spam.

The wiki (link below) has more detaile instructions.

You should avoid contacting spammers, it rarely does any good and can open you up to more problems. The government will do little about individual instances of spamming, they seem to only be interested in the really big operations.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: This company is spamming us with our own address

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43 am

How much control or input do you have on your business email solutions ?

In this situation I'd suggest setting up a SPF record, and use some server side filtering to block emails that don't match your SPF record. When setting up the SPF record, you need to be sure you get all the IP addresses right, but once that's done, you're pretty much away...

Return to “General Tech. Help”