Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
Duck
Active Albatross

Re: Another earthquake.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 am

Sidewinder wrote:Another of our beta testers just received an email from Nick and all from FT are OK but obviously shaken up. Building heavily damaged.
OUTSTANDING NEWS to hear that everyone at FT is okay. Prayers going out to everyone else who was hurt or who has lost someone. I hope that they all get the help that the need!
sdracicot
It begins with a single step

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

To my Friends at Firetrust,

I hope everyone at Firetrust is safe, after that terrible earthquake that struck your wonderful city.
My thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of trouble.

Stephen Racicot
Canada
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks guys :) ....I only just power back now and had no other way to communicate. Me and the girl have pretty much spent the last day and a half listening to the radio as folk were told to stay home unless urgent.

As far as I know all the FT staff are all OK, but the building is in bad shape. The entire CBD is off limits, but the pictures/videos speak for themselves about that I guess.

Anyway, still trying to catch up, I've not seen any video/pictures at all.
Daledoc1
Guardian Gecko

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello, RD:

SO glad to hear you are all OK.

Such a terrible tragedy for NZ.
Again.
And this time with so many lives lost.

Our thoughts are with you.

daledoc1
DT1: Win10-Pro/64; Fx, TB; MWP 7.8.0; MSGTAG; KIS2016.
DT2: Win7-Ult/64 SP1; Fx; TB; IE; MWP 7.8.0; MSGTAG; KIS2016.
LT: Win7-Pro/64 SP1; Fx; TB; MWP 7.8.0; MSGTAG; Sophos.
MBAM & MBAE Premium & SAS Free for all.
Pierre
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm

RD, great to hear from you and know you are all OK. :D A bit of a mess over there as Ozzie TV has 24 hour coverage. Take care to all. :thumbsup
IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT

I am only a ßeta Tester and getting older as well.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 pm

It's pretty remarkable, our little house has come through well....some cracks in the foundations, and it looks like the front has perhaps dropped a couple of inches, so walls a little twisted. Land damage on our property not worth commenting on really.

Yet this happened just round the corner, literally a stones throw away

4696536_600x400.jpg
4696536_600x400.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 19261 times
My neighbours backyard was flooded and the liquefaction has left a good 6 inch sludge of silt/mud now that the water has subsided. Power is probably back on for 60%-70%, no Water for 80% which is expected to be for a long time. No sewerage, but I won't tell you what we do there :|

We're just watching now footage of people being rescued from this building, so that's like 36 hours inside, somehow managing to fit themselves in those top floors someplace (it was a 4 story building)

rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 pm

There is a collection of photos here that I think is a really good representation mainly of the CBD

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011 ... nd/100013/
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:21 pm

And here's what was going on at home.

kitchen_floor.jpg
The cupboards are bare :(
kitchen_floor.jpg (98.73 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
kitchen_floor2.jpg
Some breakage, the oven which you can just see on the far right is about 4 feet from where it's supposed to be.
kitchen_floor2.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
lounge.jpg
....lucky the TV feel backwards and not forwards....
lounge.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
dog_garden.jpg
The dog tried to dig his way out through the vege garden.....then he gave up and instead sat in his hole....
dog_garden.jpg (141.46 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
dog.jpg
...dog on alert...
dog.jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 pm

and supposedly this was taken a few seconds after the quake, click on the image and you should get the scroll bars to see further across

0vZbD.jpg
0vZbD.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 19257 times
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm very glad you're all ok at FT but what a tragedy for Christchurch! Meanwhile, I see your prime minister still want to hold the rugby world cup there later this year. That would be quite a recovery.
johno
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

rusticdog wrote:There is a collection of photos here that I think is a really good representation mainly of the CBD

Shivers down my spine... so much tragedy to so many people!
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:55 pm

johno wrote:I'm very glad you're all ok at FT but what a tragedy for Christchurch! Meanwhile, I see your prime minister still want to hold the rugby world cup there later this year. That would be quite a recovery.
It's very early to tell, I personally doubt Christchurch could now handle the accommodation loads and that is course assuming AMI Stadium hasn't had any structural damage. If we were to have any matches I would expect pool matches only with the two quarter finals we had scheduled moved to another city. Aftershocks too could change things at any moment. After the quake September 4 last year, we also suffered a lot of damage in an aftershock on Boxing Day, some more damage than suffered from the first quake.

Folk in this area are quite Rugby mad, so if he said "We'll move it" straight away, he'd likley lose the coming election :mrgreen:

racker wrote:
rusticdog wrote:There is a collection of photos here that I think is a really good representation mainly of the CBD

Shivers down my spine... so much tragedy to so many people!

Isn't it. The picture #27 (also below) is called Charlies Backpackers, it was already scheduled for demolition as that fencing was already there, but the building previously 'looked' mostly intact, nothing like in the picture. The containers you can make out near the tree were already stacked to prevent debris to the traffic/pedestrians and road immediately to the right, I guess when they planned to bring it down. Across that road, and in the background of that picture is the building where Firetrust is/was housed on the 3rd floor.

s_n27_22215075.jpg
s_n27_22215075.jpg (174.82 KiB) Viewed 19256 times
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks again to everyone for all the well wishes too, we've had some incredible support. My understanding is we have Search and Rescue Teams arriving or already arrived from Australia, USA, Taiwan, Singapore and Japan. I think in total there will be about 700 highly qualified persons.....in usual NZ fashion to show our gratitude we're transferring prisoners out of the local prison to give the support staff beds.

Pierre wrote:RD, great to hear from you and know you are all OK. :D A bit of a mess over there as Ozzie TV has 24 hour coverage. Take care to all. :thumbsup
Yeah I've been watching a little Sky Australia tonight, but now it's back to the Cricket :thumbsup
Duck
Active Albatross

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 am

rusticdog wrote:Thanks guys :) ....I only just power back now and had no other way to communicate. Me and the girl have pretty much spent the last day and a half listening to the radio as folk were told to stay home unless urgent.

As far as I know all the FT staff are all OK, but the building is in bad shape. The entire CBD is off limits, but the pictures/videos speak for themselves about that I guess.

Anyway, still trying to catch up, I've not seen any video/pictures at all.
RD!!!! It's GREAT to hear from you and to find out that you and your family are safe. If there is any support that you need that can be provided...please don't hesitate to ask.

Any word from Nick or the rest of the staff? I know that you said that as far as you know they are all safe, but just checking again.
schnief
Guardian Gecko
Location: How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:48 am

I'm glad to hear everyone at FT appears to be OK.

It confirms my belief that life in general is a beta test, and that - ultimately - we have to put our faith in the "Big Programmer"(BP) to get the "bugs" out.

I guess you should thank the BP it wasn't worse. :bow As some of us say, "Allahu akbar".
MWP on nine computers, six with Win 10 Pro 2H22 x64 and three with Win 7 Pro SP-1 x64. All have Norton Security.

Return to “Chit Chat”