Another earthquake.

General discussion about anything you like. Except Religion, US Politics and Midget discrimination.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: Another earthquake.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:00 am

racker wrote:
QuietOne wrote:And what makes it even worse is that their vibes bounce the rest of us around as well in the process. :nono :thumbsdown
Maybe they think they're being social: sharing their good music with the rest of the world??! ;)
Reminds me of a true story that proves more or less that this behaviour can be seen with Godfearing law abeiding citizens also.. As it doesn't seem fit to tell it here, I've posted the story in a new thread: http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9629
Read your story in the other thread Racker,

Good story indeed! :thumbsup :devil

Getting back to your comment about:
Racker wrote:Maybe they think they're being social: sharing their good music with the rest of the world??! ;)
I have a solution that might work for both the Automobile Mega-sound system audiophiles AND your neighbor with the pipe organ (albeit to get it to work for your neighbor, it'd require a bit more plumbing). Anyway, here's the fix (and it's low-tech too! ;) ) ...
  • Just get yourself one of the old Cheerleader megaphones;
  • Place the large end immediately over the speakers (or the organ pipes as the case may be);
  • Get the respective auto audiophile or your neighbor to sit on the small end; and
  • Turn up the volume FULL-BLAST! :loser
  • The resultant sound wave displacement of the atmosphere might, just might, make an impact on the perpetrator in a manner that might get their attention. :booty
What'dya think???? Does my idea have any merit????? :devil
Stealth is the Best Weapon.
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
And I'm: Just Another βeta-Tester.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 am

I like these, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... TR=309-148 they are glue-down mounts but they make similar ones that screw mount. Just mount them to a joining wall or other surface, cover with some fluffy blankets, hook up to the worst local radio station, wait for neighbor to come over and ask for a cease-fire.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
snollofbone
highly esteamed croaking frog

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Nah..prob tone or stone or stoned deaf..

throwing swine before the pearls or somehting..

suggestion ..get CD /LP /Tape Stockhausen and run this very loudly..

graham
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:49 pm

liquefaction, what happened to the ground during the quake demonstrated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYKcCS_ ... r_embedded
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:54 pm

It's not documented, but I got Youtube videos working on the forums....if you use the tag [ youtube ] (without the spaces) you can just put in the video number and it should show up nicely.

e.g [ youtube ]tvYKcCS_J7Y[ /youtube] with spaces removed. Edit: Good video by the way, pretty remarkable.

Wizcrafts
Guardian Gecko

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Yikes!
Submitted respectfully by Wiz.
Member of the MailWasher Beta Tester Team
Fighting spam by writing, updating and publishing MailWasher Pro custom filters.
See www.wizcrafts.net/mwp-filters.html
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Talk about going down to the "Old Mudhole" for a swim! No thanks! :nono :thumbsdown :facepalm :crazy :devil
15" MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, 16GB RAM, Parallels install went kaput so no Windows version, Mozilla Thunderbird. All T'bird accnts: POP3. iPhone Mail Accounts IMAP. Unsubscrbd DNSBL.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 am

Here's a goody.

smart1960
βeta Tester

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 am

When are you putting your video on Chris of your patch at home? Maybe a video grand tour of the new office that the BIG CHEESE has acquired for you and the team?
snollofbone
highly esteamed croaking frog

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:22 am

What an apalling mess!
genegold
Guardian Gecko

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Just got back from traveling to find the thread. Having gone through two big busters in So California, I can imagine the devastation and shock. Glad to hear everyone is doing ok; well, as ok as can be under the circumstances.
AlphaCentauri
Guardian Gecko

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

oh, my, I'm making oatmeal cookies, and I'm afraid I'll never look at cookie dough the same way after that wheelbarrow video. I feel hesitation before turning on the mixer to add ingredients, as if it's going to come alive when the beater starts it moving.
QuietOne
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

AlphaCentauri wrote:oh, my, I'm making oatmeal cookies, and I'm afraid I'll never look at cookie dough the same way after that wheelbarrow video. I feel hesitation before turning on the mixer to add ingredients, as if it's going to come alive when the beater starts it moving.
Don't forget to add a healthy portion of raisins to the dough before you drop 'em on the cookie sheet. :thumbsup :devil Yummmm!!!!!!!!!!!
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Today has been a good day if I can say that. Our last aftershock was some time this morning....we did however have strong winds that gusted up too 100kph (60mph) in exposed areas, which basically blanketed the city in dust from all the drying liquefaction and other such debris. It was warm as well, so was couped up inside with all windows and doors closed.

2 more decent enough days forecast with some rain after that.

I'm going to venture to the nearest supermarket tomorrow evening I think, been living off bakery food lately, really need a proper meal. Mentally still not quite there, just concentration wise I mean, nothing significant. After this quiet day today hopefully I can start focusing more to get into these emails and forum posts that are backlogging :)
johno
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:35 am

rusticdog wrote:After this quiet day today hopefully I can start focusing more to get into these emails and forum posts that are backlogging :)
The devil and the deep blue sea spring to mind :frown but you all need to make sure you are good to go before you take on the backlog. I don't think I can begin to appreciate what it can be like for you but I'm thinking of you all. Best of luck.
johno

Return to “Chit Chat”