Slow machines, slow connectivity

Computer problems not related to MailWasher or other Firetrust programs getting you down. Put the geeks to the test by asking about your problem here.
richard
Student Sheep

Slow machines, slow connectivity

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:56 pm

'morning Firetrust,

Background: Two mailwasher licences, 2006 and 2007.
Geography: In a UK notspot that is: connectivity speeds 1.1mb max
Computers: slow pc's
Efficacy: Pro 6.51 is a dream; 2011pro is s-l-o-w

Let's ignore geography; the only way to improve download performance is to move home. But what of your recommendations for slow computers.

Q: on these slow computers should I keep using my trusty friend Pro 6.51
Q: in your opinion will installing faster processors and graphics cards for my PCs radically improve the speeds of 2011pro

Thank you from Richard
UK Lincolnshire to London
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Slow machines, slow connectivity

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:20 pm

If 6.x is working that well for you, then I wouldn't look to move to be honest.

I assume you mean generally MW is slow, not just in downloading emails. RAM is probably one of the larger bottlenecks that we see. Currently my machine at present is using 1GB RAM and I only have a browser and email program open. It's also one of the cheapest options if you are trying to get more juice from the machine.

I take it your running XP with 1GB or 2GB RAM ?
richard
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:08 am

re: "assume you mean generally MW is slow"
Upgrading to 2011pro last year for merely 10 kiwis was great value so I'm not complaining
rusticdog wrote:I take it your running XP with 1GB or 2GB RAM ?
XP, yes

RAM? Alas, I don't know ... (below)

Typically I will have 5 applications open at any one time.

I will at very least upgrade RAM. Thank you rusticdog (or may I call you RD) :)

stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:49 pm

After upgrading your RAM the next best step to getting faster 2011 performance is a faster hard drive or an SSD. Given the cheap prices on WD black (high performance drives) that could be a good option. A 10,000 RPM drive helps too but at the expense of heat and noise so I'd go SSD if the 7,200 WDs aren't enough.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:42 pm

RAM is definitely the answer here after seeing that screen shot o_O

It's going to be your cheapest option, even picking up some second hand would be fine. You want to replace the 256MB stick with a minimum of 1GB. I would personally opt for 2GB given the price difference will be insignificant.

The trick to RAM is making sure it's compatible with your motherboard, and if the motherboard supports more than one RAM slot (generally it should), then you want to be sure it's the same if you're purchasing 2 RAM sticks. For example you may decide on 2 RAM sticks at 512MB memory each, so these need to be the same.

Stan mentions SSDs, but given the screenshot I expect overkill at this stage as your clearly one of the most patient people on the planet. You'll enjoy the upgrade in RAM enough to not think about such things.

After getting the extra RAM, I would also highly recommend giving that machine a defrag, your Hard Drive will no doubt be getting wholloped for more memory and could probably use a cleanup.

If you're not sure about the motherboard type and don't have the old manual etc...you can go Start >> Run >> type msinfo32.exe and press ENTER >> it should be there in the main overview screen.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:26 pm

I've had great luck finding old memory on ebay, as rusticdog suggests make sure it matches what your system needs. I think Crucial and Kingston both have a web-app that will tell you what your system needs if you can't find the original manual.

I like to buy two matched chips as most motherboards work at a higher speed with banks 0-1 and 2-3 if used filled with identical memory.

The drive/ssd replacement will give you a smaller speed bump than the memory but it is about the only other thing that will help. It is kind of a last resort before getting a faster computer.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
richard
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Thank you stan_qaz x2. Thank you rusticdog.

Have printed off what you say and will take it today to the computer assembly shop in my neighbourhood.

re: "msinfo32.exe" Thank you !

The two machines are each 80Gb hard drive. On this machine ...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name Richard
System Manufacturer Matsonic
System Model MS8308E
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1194 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 062710, 15/07/1997
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name Richard
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 14.49 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 765.72 MB

Defrag - thanks for reminding me.

/ out.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 pm

OK great. The main board you have only supports up to 1GB RAM.
Maximum Memory: 1 GB
Expansion Sockets: 2
Memory Comments: PC133 SDRAM DIMM 168-pin

That last bit if the important part, it's the flavour of RAM the machine needs. Despite only supporting a maximum of 1GB even going from 256MB is going to make a difference :)
Becuase of it's age, I do wonder if buying the RAM new might be quite expensive, so do consider the 2nd hand alternative. It's ridiculously easy to put in yourself as well.

If I recall you were in the UK, so here's an idea
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

Note prices seemingly for new were ranging from 7 pound and up, so don't let the local store gyp you :thumbsup
richard
Student Sheep

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you rusticdog. I had thought of just spending £350 at the computer shop and having them build something. I'm an oldie so I'm allowed to do that. Nonetheless, tinkering with installation myself sounds fun, cheaper and a good learning curve, so I will look at that, first.

re: "I wish my lawn was Emo, then it would cut itself."

Thank you for the advice rusticdog ...

Am half tempted to come round and do it for you. Am in Wellington and Auckland every two years.

rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Certainly no real harm in it, can be a minor sense of victory (if you enjoy such things) to get your PC working nicer.

I don't know why I complain about my lawns, on a bad day they take me 10 minutes......I spend more time moving lawn furniture around than actual mowing :mrgreen:
But you're more than welcome to turn up and mow the lawns while I have a beer :thumbsup

Return to “General Tech. Help”