My ISP does not accept reports to SpamCop

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

My ISP does not accept reports to SpamCop

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:48 am

Hi!
Since my ISP -Alice- has had a new Webmail host, when I try to forward spam to SpamCop using MailWasher I get the message from MW "The SMTP server can not or will not send the message (etc.)" Below that appears my SC submit report email address. I suppose this is because my ISP's spam filter reads the word "spam" in the submit address I got from SpamCop, and "thinking" it is spam blocks it.

I had asked my ISP to make it possible to add "trusted email addresses" to their new Webmail -as was possible in their previous Webmail version- but today they told me that unfortunately in this Webmail version it is not possible to do that. So I cannot fill in my SC reporting address with personal code in the new Webmail to prevent it from stopping the reports to SC.

They advised I use another mail host for that.

Now I wonder if I can keep using the email address I got from my ISP, add another one to my Opera mail, add that one also to MW, and change my email address on SC to the new one. Using a free Gmail account for example. (I have never used another mail host besides my ISP's so far, and have no experience with it. But I have a Google account.)

Do I understand this well? I suppose I would have to find a way to have MW send the reports to SC via my new mail host instead of my current one. And that this could only be done using MW's Pro version, so I would still have my original email address on it as well as the added new one. (I'm using the free MW version now.)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: My ISP does not accept reports to SpamCop

Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

You don't need to do much, sign up for a free Gmail account and ignore it except for checking mail a couple of times a year to keep it active.

Set MW up to send your spam using the Gmail SMTP server, you don't need to make any other changes.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Thank you.

So still utilizing MW free, I can leave xxx[at]alice.nl still for my incoming mail, and set smtp.gmail.com for outgoing mail? Thus having MW fetch all mail from my ISP's server, and have it send spam submissions to SC?
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:43 am

Right, I've done it that way for a long time as my ISP is as dumb as yours and causes the same problem.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:20 am

All right, thanks again. :thumbsup
My MW is now set as you suggested.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:15 am

I just received this email from SC:
"Fri, 23 Dec 2011 18:54:03 +0100 schreef SpamCop Admin
<service@spamcop.net>:

> I manually added the Gmail host to your account so you won't have to
> fool with it anymore.
>
> You correctly saw that the headers were there, but there were format
> problems, and a critical line had been stripped out, so SpamCop didn't
> like them.
>
> - Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

But I had to answer:
"Via MailWasher together with your email I also received 2 spam
messages. Trying to send the spam via my GMail account -which I set up
today- to SC I got an error message from MW about SMTP. Please see
attached screen shot.

I don't know if this is an error in my GMail settings, or MW settings. Or
both... :'(

Unless you would know, I will ask on MW's forum. And maybe SC's forum as
well, as I'm sure you have other things to do too.

I'm confident it will be smoothed out, and soon I report spam again to SC.

Lode
Attachments
Screen Shot MaiWasher GMail SMTP error message.png
Screen Shot MaiWasher GMail SMTP error message.png (187.47 KiB) Viewed 19796 times
Last edited by Lode on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:05 pm

I see part of the problem, you have been posting in the MW v5and v6 forum and I have been giving you MW v5 and v6 answers while your screen-shot is of MW v201X that is a very different program.

That problem is that your MW free may not be talking to the Google SMTP server correctly, try the settings from here in the v201X forum and see if that helps.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... mtp#p44988
gmail-smtp-1.png
gmail-smtp-1.png (31.44 KiB) Viewed 19792 times
--
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:14 pm

stan_qaz wrote:I see part of the problem, you have been posting in the MW v5and v6 forum and I have been giving you MW v5 and v6 answers while your screen-shot is of MW v201X that is a very different program.
That's v6.54 in the screenshot, not v201X.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Lode wrote:Trying to send the spam via my GMail account -which I set up
today- to SC I got an error message from MW about SMTP.
This is what has been working for me. :thumbsup
Gmail_SMTP.png
Gmail_SMTP.png (142.96 KiB) Viewed 19790 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:51 am

Thank you all.

Looking at this below link thanks to stan_qaz I went to my GMail account and saw that POP was disabled, as was IMAP. So I checked "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)" and "Enable IMAP".
http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... mtp#p44988

The MW "Enable SpamCop reporting" settings are done as shown graphically by TrustFire, using my personal submit email address of course. But I'm not sure about what to fill in on the "Bouncing and Outgoing Mail" panel. "Enable bouncing..." I left unchecked -as strongly recommended to me by stan_qaz in the past- but as the spam submitting to SC has to be done through GMail in this case -to by-pass my non-cooperating ISP in this- should I not put my GMail address and "smtp.gmail.com" on it instead of my Alice email address and smtp? (For this example with xxx[at]gmail.com)
Screen Shot MW Bouncing and Outgoing Mail settings.png
Screen Shot MW Bouncing and Outgoing Mail settings.png (200.29 KiB) Viewed 19774 times
PS: Come to think of it, I guess this is probably only an option for bouncing -not needed for submitting to SpamCop- and has no influence on anything when left unchecked.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 am

Silly free version ad confused me, I saw the big print 2011 and missed the titlebar v6.

Yes leave bouncing disabled, it may not amuse your ISP if you forge a bounce and if the spammer has forged the return address that can lead you to grief too.
--
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't know anything about the the bouncing business, but I do know I'm back in the spam reporting business; I just submitted the first one successfully to SpamCop -including Knujon- again, using MailWasher. 8)

Thank you very much! :thumbsup
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:01 pm

For the 201X series version 1.11.0 as of now but check this topic for the latest as new releases happen on an irregular basis.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7265

For the v5-v6 series 6.5.4 the latest is which is the last release they are planning to do for the 5/6 series.

http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailw ... 6/download (auto start download)
--
meli124
It begins with a single step

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:54 pm

stan_qaz wrote:You don't need to do much, sign up for a free Gmail account and ignore it except for checking mail a couple of times a year to keep it active.

Set MW up to send your spam using the Gmail SMTP server, you don't need to make any other changes.
Wow,

great ! Never thought of that. Should i do this manually ?

thanks
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:19 am

meli124 wrote:Should i do this manually ?
Yes. Set up the Gmail account, then set up a SpamCop account if you don't already have one, and then set up SpamCop reporting in MailWasher.
Windows 10

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”