Program Close Errors

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
madferraristi
Student Sheep

Program Close Errors

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:48 am

Each time I close Mailwasher (6.5.4) I get these two error messages, first one and then the other:

First:
Could not save the blacklist file (This includes the friends list): "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Dunn\Application\MailwasherPro\Blacklist.txt". Access is denied. (EFCreateError)

Second:
Could not save the filters: "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Dunn\Application Data\MailwasherPro\filters.txt". Access is denied (EFCreateError)

At first, I did not see any changes in any of my lists or filters. Everything seems to work OK. Then last evening it didn't save my Obviously something is corrupted, what is my best solution, remove and reload the program?

If it matters, running XP Pro.

If I remove Mailwasher from my computer, will I be able to download it again?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Re: Program Close Errors

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 am

Can you confirm whether those 2 offending files are endowed with 'Read' & 'Write' permissions, as well?

Just navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Dunn\Application Data\MailwasherPro\Blacklist.txt to right click the file 'Blacklist.txt' >>====> then click 'Properties' >>====> next select the 'Security' tab.

Now, while going through all the 4 Users (Everyone, SYSTEM, Mile Dunn & Administrators) in the upper window, can you confirm whether all of those 4 Users have all these 6 privileges (Full control, Modify, Read & execute, List folder contents, Read, Write) in the lower window, enabled (tick-marked?) Please note, Special permissions would not be enabled (tick-marked) for any of the Users, by default.

If this works for you navigate to the other file, 'filters.txt' and repeat the above steps. :thumbsup

madferraristi wrote:If I remove Mailwasher from my computer, will I be able to download it again?
Yes, of course you can always download the MWP 6.5.4 from here. :)
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
madferraristi
Student Sheep

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

Just navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Dunn\Application Data\MailwasherPro\Blacklist.txt to right click the file 'Blacklist.txt' >>====> then click 'Properties' >>====> next select the 'Security' tab.
At the risk of coming across as a boob, when I click on properties, I only have two tabs, "General and Summary", no Security Tab.

What now?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:10 pm

On Windows XP, the 'Security' tab is hidden by default - it's useful to have this little option unhidden.

Here's how to unhide the 'Security' tab:-
  • 01.) Login with Administrator rights.
    02.) Navigate through 'My Computer' or launch Windows Explorer by opening any folder.
    03.) Click 'Tools' at the menu bar, then click 'Folder Options' - if you can't see your menu bar, just press your 'Alt' key.
    04.) Click the 'View' tab.
    05.) Under 'Advanced Settings' un-tick (disable) the 'Use simple file sharing (Recommended)' check box at the bottom of the list.
    06.) Click 'OK.'
Just in case you're unable to manage the above due to some reason, you may navigate to the following registry entry:-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
Change the following value from 1 to 0
"Nosecuritytab"
My personal preference is to delete "Nosecuritytab" - this entry gets targeted by malware.

Caveats:-
01.) If you opt for the registry method, please note we're not responsible if you decide to screw up. :devil
02.) I use Windows 7 (not XP) - the above blind-lead-blind steps are brought to you (courtesy of Windows 7) :thumbsup
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
madferraristi
Student Sheep

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 pm

OK, I now have the Security Tab.

The first five permissions are all allowed, the sixth, "Special Permissions" is greyed out. So no changes here.

Just poking around, I clicked on "Advanced" , then "Effective Permissions", there are no usernames listed and no permissions are ticked, may I assume this to be correct?

The above is the condition of both the Blacklist and the Filters text files.

Looks to me like it's time to remove and replace the whole 9 yards.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Why don't you do it the simple way - right click those text files (Blacklist.txt and Filters.txt)and just use the 'Take ownership' option to gain Admin control.
Take_Ownership_Option_To_Context_Menu.png
Take_Ownership_Option_To_Context_Menu.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
If you don't yet have this handy option in your 'Context menu,' you can download the following .reg file and import the same into your Registry. This 'Take ownership' option in your Context menu can be used against any file or even folder - pretty useful stuff that can be removed from the 'Context menu' at will, too (have also included that .reg removal file.)
Take_Ownership_Option_To_Context_Menu.zip
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
madferraristi
Student Sheep

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:19 am

Downloaded, installed, rebooted, took ownership, rebooted, still get the error messages.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Wonder if your MWP directory itself has gone beyond (Admin) control - you can try to gain control over the following directory:-
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike Dunn\Application\MailwasherPro

This should work - if it doesn't, I'm sorry you'll be left with no other option but a full & clean re-install from the link previously provided. None of us beta-testers use V6, anymore - we've all migrated to the latest MWP 2012.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”