Hotmail offering POP3 access

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Hotmail offering POP3 access

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Sauce
We are happy to announce that POP3 technology is now available to Hotmail users in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, France, Japan, Spain, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. If you don’t see your country or region in this list, never fear, we’ll be rolling POP3 out to more parts of the world later this year.

What is POP3? It is a protocol that allows almost any e-mail software program that you’ve installed on your mobile phone or PC* to get messages from your e-mail inbox on the web and deliver them in the designated program.

Although you always could access Hotmail on your web-enabled mobile phone by going to mobile.live.com, now that Hotmail has POP3, you can get to it more conveniently using the e-mail software on your PC or mobile device* such as a Windows Mobile phone, iPhone, or BlackBerry.

When you set up Hotmail in the e-mail program on your PC or mobile device, you may be asked for the following information:

POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25)
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes
Good news for many MW users. Sadly my NZ account isn't yet POP3, but it's a step in the right direction.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Hotmail offering POP3 access (limited countries)

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 pm

If you are not lucky enough to be in a country yet with POP3 access, then you could simply alter your Hotmail account to a country that does.

Article here on altering your country to the United Kingdom, which then allows POP3 access.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/2 ... countries/

Worked and tested on my Hotmail account.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:15 pm

They finally caved! Thanks for the heads up!

Too bad a Maserati was sacrificed in the process eh. ;)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Ikeb wrote:Too bad a Maserati was sacrificed in the process eh. ;)
It was on the cheap anyway if I recall right, as he had a friend who leased more exotic cars for a living. And for those who don't know about the Maserati, check out http://firetrust.com/en/blog/chris/hotm ... map-access

Still this POP3 business really does make things a lot easier for many people, and for people like me who have pretty much abandoned their Hotmail account, I could actually begin to use it again.
Ikeb
Microsoft MVP with a slice of PITA

Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Now we can only hope that MWP moves out of the Age of Stupid by dropping the idea that bouncing will prompt spammers to no longer send their drivel to the address that bounced the spam. ;)
Sponge
Mystified Moa

Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:35 am

I wasn't sure it this warranted it's own thread, but here goes...I recently added my Windows Live pop3 details to Mailwasher and it's not behaving as I expected.

A little background.

I'm running Outlook 2007, with the Office Outlook Connector 'plugin', on Vista Ultimate 64.

The problem.

I configured MW to access my live account using the pop3 settings. This works, except, the emails keep showing up in MW even after processing them and using send/receive in Outlook.

I tried selecting delete and after processing the emails had indeed been deleted. Both from my 'online' inbox and my Outlook mailbox. I obviously don't want this to happen. I want to be able to process the email, download them to Outlook, also have them remain in my 'online' inbox, but then be 'tagged' as read/downloaded and not have MW show them. Is this not how it works? Am I being stupid?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Sponge wrote:I tried selecting delete and after processing the emails had indeed been deleted. Both from my 'online' inbox and my Outlook mailbox. I obviously don't want this to happen. I want to be able to process the email, download them to Outlook, also have them remain in my 'online' inbox, but then be 'tagged' as read/downloaded and not have MW show them. Is this not how it works? Am I being stupid?
No you aren't being stupid :)

The Outlook Connector runs Hotmail as online storage, so it's working pretty much how you want. However the limitations of POP means that messages cannot be identified as being read on the server. You've got a couple of options.

MailWasher can store messages it's seen and mark them as read, and in the Display options you can set not to show 'seen' messages. Though remember this is MailWasher only, so if you read a Hotmail message in Outlook or Hotmail webpage first, it won't show as seen in MailWasher.

My personal preference though is to tidy up the Hotmail Inbox, messages that I've finished with I move out of the Hotmail Inbox folder, and into sub-folders I have created. This takes them out of the Inbox and out of MailWashers view. If you do this option, be sure you create the sub-folders within the Hotmail folder structure, not in the local Outlook folder structure, as moving messages into the local Outlook folder structure would remove them from Hotmail entirely
Sponge
Mystified Moa

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:06 am

Ah, right. I understand, I think. :scratch

It sort of fits in with my limited experiences at the moment. I've already created 2 folders and the stuff I moved there is indeed not being shown. Now I know why. :thumbsup

So, I'll just extend that as you suggest to all the emails in the inbox. Creating new folders to store them once read.

Thanks for the explanation and help. :bow
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Hotmail have now rolled this out world wide too, so should be no need to change your country.
johngalt
Student Sheep

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:05 pm

One thing to note. For those of us using ISPs that block port 25 access, there is a workaround discussed in the comments following the Windows Live Mail blog at http://windowslivewire.spaces.live.com/ ... =705794768 - namely,
if port 25 doesn't work, try port 587 for SMTP with TLS or SSL

Now if they would move to IMAP, like GMail has opened up - I can *finally* access all of my old mail without having to carry around a UFD with my entire profile and Thunderbird Portable App installed....
ronj218
Mystified Moa

Re: Hotmail offering POP3 access

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:32 am

I'm looking for SMTP server for hotmail I have Verizon FIOS and they will not let you use the blacklist to tell spammers this email addy doesn't exsist. Any way to use a hot mail account to send it back?
wombat
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just configured MWP ver 6.5.3 so that I can have my hotmail account showing in MWP, now every time I open MWP it list all of the emails in my Hotmail in box, is there a way I can check only the new incoming emails?
running Vista ultimate 32bit

regards Ron
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Unfortunately not. You could move the emails you've seen out of your Hotmail inbox into sub-folders as MailWasher will only display the contents of the Inbox, or if you access your Hotmail through Windows live Mail or another email program, you could set in the account settings not to keep emails on the server. The problem with doing the latter is that it means should you check your email from another location the emails would no longer be accessible.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”