MailWasher/Spamcop Setup

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

MailWasher/Spamcop Setup

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:31 pm

The following step by step "How To" was needed to get MailWasher Free 6.5.4 to work properly for me. (With thanks to those who helped me here! :thumbsup )

As my ISP blocks spam reports to SpamCop -mistaking them for spam- I made a separate email account just for sending spam reports to SpamCop. I chose a free gmx.mail account for that. A gmail account also works, as many others may. But if your ISP lets the reports to SpamCop go through, just fill in the data of your ISP given email account. Or any email account you have.

stan_qaz has written info on SpamCop here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10200
SpamCop also has a very helpful forum: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/

TUTORIAL FOR MAILWASHER SPAMCOP REPORTING SETTINGS:

1. In "Email Accounts" > "Add Account" I called my ISP's given email account: "Alice account." Name your account anything you like.

2. Under "Email Accounts" > "Incoming Mail" I checked "Include this account in default mail check", and filled in my ISP's POP3 info: "in.alice.nl","out.alice.nl", my regular email address, and password. I left "SMTP server" blank here, and the "Advanced account options" as is by default.

3. In "Bouncing and Outgoing Mail" I left the box for enabling bouncing unchecked -strongly recommended on this and SpamCop's forum- but in "Email address" filled in my gmx.mail data: "(xxx)(at)gmx.com" and in "SMTP server address": "smtp.gmx.com". (No quotation marks, and the gmx.mail data instead of my ISP given email account data, as my ISP Alice mail service blocks the spam reports to SpamCop as explained above.)

4. I left "Specify..." unchecked.

5. In "Advanced Account Options" > "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" I left "My SMTP server requires authentication" unchecked. (The grayed out address and tick doesn't matter.)
"Bouncing details" I left by default checked on "Use local SMTP server only", and left "Email Addresses" unchecked.

6. In "Spam Tools" > "Origin of spam" I have "Check the origin of the email (etc.)" checked, as well as SpamCop and Spamhaus.

7. In "Spam Tools" > "SpamCop" I ticked "Enable SpamCop reporting", filled in my personal SpamCop reporting email address: "submit(xxx)(at)spamcop.net", and in "SMTP server": "smtp.gmx.com".

8. Still in "SpamCop" > "SMTP server" > "Advanced" > "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" I checked "My SMTP server requires authentication", filled in my GMX Mail user name: "(xxx)(at)gmx.mail.com", and my GMX Mail password. I ticked "Remember password".

I hereby congratulate Firetrust for making this marvelous MailWasher + SpamCop reporting software available even for free to those among us who have only basic spam reporting needs. Thank you! 8) :D
Last edited by Lode on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:53 am, edited 9 times in total.
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: MailWasher/Spamcop setup

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 am

This post show get you going http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 395#p63233

Can't help you directly as I don't have the old version any more. If you run into problems, you may be better contacting Firetrust Support as not many people here run the old version any more.
Windows 10
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

Lode wrote:Hi!
Any help would be much appreciated, as it was in the past the first time I set this up. Which was very 8).
This time I'll copy the instructions and keep them on a memory stick... :idea:
Last time, you had the same problem. :lol: :devil

Check out the following direct link to the graphical illustration on the SpamCop <----> Gmail configuration for the V6:-

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 89c#p63233 :thumbsup
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 pm

I know, I know.... :yuck :D. I had already read that post with graphic illustration before starting this new thread. But on that graphic display the setting is for someone who only has gmail. (It looks like to me.) But I already have Alice as my email ISP with my "(xxx)(at)alice.nl" address. Through that one I get all my email including spam. But because Alice doesn't let spam reporting through to SpamCop (I guess its spam filter thinks it's spam) I need another mail service for that. And now I would like my new mail.com account to do what my gmail did until it was terminated.

So for incoming mail -including spam- I keep using Alice. On MW I have under "Incoming Mail":

(Filled in) "Alice account."
(Checked) Include this account in default mail check
POP3 server address: "in.alice.nl"
User name: "(xxx)(at)alice.nl"
Password: "(xxxxxx)"

Because I don't want to bounce mail, under "Bouncing and Outgoing Mail" I have:
(Unchecked) Enable bouncing of messages from this account
And because I don't use MW to send messages to my Alice account email address I left the rest blank also. The SpamCop reporting is with the account I have with SP, not Alice.

(At first I thought that by "Outgoing Mail" was meant "to my SpamCop address" so I had filled in the data for SP here, but then clicking on "Advanced account options" I saw my Alice address "(xxx)(at)alice.nl" and realized all this was for my Alice account. So I deleted all data on "Bouncing and Outgoing Mail." Reporting spam to SC is completely apart from this account I now understand. And it has to be, as Alice won't let spam reports to SP go through. I does let confirmation requests from SP to me go through though. And then replying to those SP requests by clicking on the link in my email from SP to confirm the report on my SP reporting page online Alice also allows of course. I can do this from my Opera mail client and/or from MW at my choice, as I receive all email on both.)

Under SpamCop I have:
(Checked) Enable SpamCop reporting
(Filled in) "submit.(xxx)(at)spam.spamcop.net"
SMTP server: "smtp.mail.com"

Questions:
1. Next clicking on "Advanced" I see the option to check "My SMTP server requires authentication". By "My SMTP server" is meant my Alice server or my Mail.com server? I suppose my mail.com server as this is the setup for reporting to SP. But I don't know if mail.com requires authentication. Nor do I know if "smtp.mail.com" is correct here. I can ask mail.com both questions too of course if it is not know here.

2. Also, every time I click on OK on the "Advanced" panel here I get the message "Could not save the blacklist file (this includes the friends list): cannot create file 'C\Users/xxxx (etc.)' Access denied (EFCreateError)". And clicking OK on that I get another message: "Could not save the filters: Cannot create file 'C:\Users (etc.) Access denied (EFCreateError)"
Sometimes I get those messages when handling mail in MW. I never had this with my previous version of MW which was a free one. This one is the 30 day trial Pro version, and I suppose these messages won't appear anymore once the trial period is over and I keep it as the free version. Is that so?

(I write all the above in all detail so I can later copy it on a memory stick for future use. Someday I'll have to buy a new laptop and have set it all up again.)
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:35 am

1. Next clicking on "Advanced" I see the option to check "My SMTP server requires authentication". By "My SMTP server" is meant my Alice server or my Mail.com server?
Which server it is depends entirely on what you put into the blanks, if you start off with your Alice SMPT server's name then you'd use the details for that server and be stuck with their refusal to forward spam reports. If you put in the Mail.com settings (if you can find them) then MW will use the details to contact that server.

Looking at Mail.com I do not see that they are offering a free SMTP server, unless you can find the details on their site I don't think you'll be able to use them for restoring messages or spamcop reporting. If you can log-on to their site you may be able to upgrade to an account that offers access to an SMTP server but I can't find any details there and I'm not going to sign up to see if that would help.

Me, I'd just sign up for another Gmail account since it just works.
2. Also, every time I click on OK on the "Advanced" panel here I get the message "Could not save the blacklist file...
I'd be very surprised if the warning messages went away with a version upgrade since they are most likely caused by your computer refusing to let MW write the files to your hard disk. Maybe telling your anti-virus to ignore the MW program and data files would fix the problem. I have no clue how to do that but it has been addressed on the forums here a few times.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 am

Lode wrote:2. Also, every time I click on OK on the "Advanced" panel here I get the message "Could not save the blacklist file (this includes the friends list): cannot create file 'C\Users/xxxx (etc.)' Access denied (EFCreateError)". And clicking OK on that I get another message: "Could not save the filters: Cannot create file 'C:\Users (etc.) Access denied (EFCreateError)"
http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8cd#p64025
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:59 am

Thank you for your responses.

I've just send an email to mail.com asking if they offer smtp service, and if so, if filling in smtp.mail.com on MailWasher to report spam to SpamCop would be correct.

I never got those error messages with my previous setup. Wonder what might be different now. I'll check out the given link to info on that.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am

After deleting the old MW version and downloading/installing the latest one those error messages have not come up anymore.
During the install MW told me that I needed .NET Framework 4, and after clicking OK MW downloaded/installed it. Excellent.

Mail.com has SMTP service in the paid version only. I'm thinking of getting a new Gmail account... my cell phone works again, so I guess I could receive their activation code message on it from Gmail.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 am

Since I just posted the new thread "How To: SpamCop Reporting with MW When Your ISP Blocks It" here http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13393 I feel that this thread is not needed anymore now. I'm grateful for the help given here, but I don't think that there is any info is on it that is not covered in the new thread. And only there are the definite solutions to all the difficulties I encountered answered. Solutions I found out by trial and error, resulting in detailed a step by step tutorial.

So would it be OK to pull this thread (if I can do that)?
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 am

I still don't know if I can delete this whole thread, and that if I could, I have your permission. The reason I would like to do it is that someone seeing the title may go through reading the whole thing to find out that all he -or she- needed to read was the step by step tutorial I posted in the other thread. This one leaves questions open and is like a long road to a dead end.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Just go to the top of the page and edit your first post.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”