A note to people who use CCleaner

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
schnief
Guardian Gecko
Location: How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

A note to people who use CCleaner

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am

[UPDATE] : This problem is now fixed in the latest version of CCleaner.

Hi from Berlin,

I just had a rather negative experience with one of my favorite tools: CCleaner.

I always use the zip version, and today a new version came out. (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds). As always, I set it up over my old version and ran the cleaning function.

All of a sudden, I noticed it had wiped out many MBs of data from MWP, specifically from the folder that holds the contents of the Recycle Bin :banghead

Fortunately, Piriform, the company that makes CCleaner, also makes an undelete program called Recuva, with which I was able to fix pretty much everything.

My tip: If or when you install a new version of CCleaner, look under the "Applications" tab in the "Cleaner" section, and make sure MailWasherPro is unchecked.:!:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
JoeG
MWP on (1) Win7 SP-1 64-bit (English) Lenovo S20, Xeon W3520, 18gb RAM, (2) Win7 SP-1 64-bit (English) Lenovo S20, Xeon x5670, 12gb RAM, and (3) WinXP Pro-SP3 32-bit (English) on an IBM-M Pro (6229), Core2Duo@2.4gh, 4gb RAM
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: A note to people who use CCleaner

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Stickied this post, hopefully we see a resolution soon.

I expect CCleaner has a blanket rule to wipe folders named 'cache' when scanning specific software, I've emailed them requesting they remove this from MailWasher.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm

CCleaner.png
CCleaner.png (118.63 KiB) Viewed 23747 times
MWP 7 disabled from the cloud (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows Firewall Control (WFC) | NOD32 EAV (ßeta) | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.7.1)
pap.gas
Rattled Rabbit

Re: A note to people who use CCleaner (dtd April 27, 2013)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 am

Do not use the Pro. Try the CCleaner Free version and see if your needs are covered.

I have been using CCleaner freeware for more than ten years now and never had the slightest problem.
Right now, MW Pro v. 6.5 and 7.1.0 (installed two months ago) run simultaneously with no conflict whatsoever.

Constantine

CCleaner.JPG
CCleaner.JPG (84.96 KiB) Viewed 23722 times
[/b]
schnief
Guardian Gecko

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

pap.gas wrote:Do not use the Pro. Try the CCleaner Free version and see if your needs are covered.
I have been using CCleaner freeware for more than ten years now and never had the slightest problem.
Thanks for your input, but it appears you haven't got the latest version (4.00.4064).

In any case, my point here isn't related to whether people use the free or professional version; I have no experience with the latter. I was merely calling attention to the fact that in the latest free version, there's a setting to empty the MWP cache that - at least on my machine - was checked by default and wiped out the Recycle Bin before I realized what was going on.
MWP on (1) Win7 SP-1 64-bit (English) Lenovo S20, Xeon W3520, 18gb RAM, (2) Win7 SP-1 64-bit (English) Lenovo S20, Xeon x5670, 12gb RAM, and (3) WinXP Pro-SP3 32-bit (English) on an IBM-M Pro (6229), Core2Duo@2.4gh, 4gb RAM
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Yeah it's version 4 that's causing the problems. I've been in contact with the CCleaner folks so you can expect this to be resolved hopefully with their next update.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:38 pm

pap.gas wrote:Do not use the Pro. Try the CCleaner Free version and see if your needs are covered.
There is no difference in functioning & features between the Free and the Professional editions of CCleaner - the Users who paid for the Professional edition are entitled to Tech support (that's just about the only difference.)

Please note, Beta-testers do not require any Tech support - we pay for the software simply to support the Developers so that non-paying Users like you can continue to enjoy uninterrupted free updates/upgrades with continued development of the said product - it's a cross-subsidy that takes place with . . . . . . . . . . . . . any freeware. When stupid people like me stop paying for freewares, wise folks like you will one day find yourself deprived of an erstwhile free product known formerly as CCleaner. :devil

BTW, this thread was not meant to promote the different flavors of CCleaner - this thread serves as a caution-note to unsuspecting people. :!:

pap.gas wrote:I have been using CCleaner freeware for more than ten years now and never had the slightest problem.
Right now, MW Pro v. 6.5 and 7.1.0 (installed two months ago) run simultaneously with no conflict whatsoever.

Constantine
You are not supposed to have problems on the old & ancient MWP V6 simply because CCleaner rules are designed to work only for the more modern MWP V7 - those CCleaner rules do not clean the aging MWP that you're using. :no

Your dinosaur will never have any conflict with CCleaner - not even in the next 10 years. :devil
MWP 7 disabled from the cloud (ßeta) | Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) | The Bat! Professional (ßeta) | Windows Firewall Control (WFC) | NOD32 EAV (ßeta) | Intel® HD Graphics 3000 | Internet Connection Speed (D=50 Mb/s U=3.5 Mb/s) | .NET Framework (4.7.1)
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Your dinosaur will never have any conflict with CCleaner - not even in the next 10 years.

Old is Gold :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm

rusticdog wrote:
Your dinosaur will never have any conflict with CCleaner - not even in the next 10 years.

Old is Gold :thumbsup
Want to share a secret with you - it works with Windows 8 and Windows Blue, too. :thumbsup
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

TrustFire wrote:There is no difference in functioning & features between the Free and the Professional editions of CCleaner - the Users who paid for the Professional edition are entitled to Tech support (that's just about the only difference.)
Perhaps they are lying, but the early reports that I saw of CCleaner 4 say that some previously free bits have now moved over into the Pro version. So the above statement may be out of date. Just thought I had better warn anyone who might take it as the final answer.

I suggest checking this before taking the leap if CCeaner is important to you. Check that a feature that you use all the time remains free. I avoid using devices like that. Too many reports of damage done, such as the one that kicked off this discussion.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory
pap.gas
Rattled Rabbit

Re: A note to people who use CCleaner (dtd April 28, 2013)

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks for your input, but it appears you haven't got the latest version (4.00.4064).
In any case, my point here isn't related to whether people use the free or professional version; I have no experience with the latter. I was merely calling attention to the fact that in the latest free version, there's a setting to empty the MWP cache that - at least on my machine - was checked by default and wiped out the Recycle Bin before I realized what was going on.
@schnief
You are absolutely right on both of your points :bow
My post, as v.4 of CCleaner freeware proves, is pointless :oops: and should be erased
So, people using the freeware and updating to CCleaner v.4 should also uncheck the option as I just did after your post
Thank you for correcting me thus chic!

Constantine
Last edited by pap.gas on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
schnief
Guardian Gecko

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 pm

pap.gas wrote:My post, as v.4 of MWP freeware proves, is pointless and should be erased So, people using the freeware and updating to MWP v.4 should also uncheck the option as I just did after your post Thank you for correcting me thus chic!
Ummmmmmm, don't you mean CCleaner v. 4 rather than MWP?
pap.gas
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 pm

schnief wrote:
pap.gas wrote:My post, as v.4 of MWP freeware proves, is pointless and should be erased So, people using the freeware and updating to MWP v.4 should also uncheck the option as I just did after your post Thank you for correcting me thus chic!
Ummmmmmm, don't you mean CCleaner v. 4 rather than MWP?
:facepalm :oops:
Corrected
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:05 am

MWP can lose Learning data and the Friend's List due to an extremely flawed rule in the latest CCleaner V4 (regardless of the CCleaner edition.)

michaelkenward wrote:
TrustFire wrote:There is no difference in functioning & features between the Free and the Professional editions of CCleaner - the Users who paid for the Professional edition are entitled to Tech support (that's just about the only difference.)
Perhaps they are lying, but the early reports that I saw of CCleaner 4 say that some previously free bits have now moved over into the Pro version. So the above statement may be out of date. Just thought I had better warn anyone who might take it as the final answer.

I suggest checking this before taking the leap if CCeaner is important to you. Check that a feature that you use all the time remains free. I avoid using devices like that. Too many reports of damage done, such as the one that kicked off this discussion.
Can we kindly stay on topic - this thread is not about the merits & demerits of the different flavors of CCleaner (and please feel welcome to start a new topic if you need to further any discussion related to editions of CCleaner.)

Hope we are not forced to lock this otherwise useful thread. :facepalm
michaelkenward
Guardian Gecko

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 pm

I apologise for taking this discussion off on a tangent. I did not realise that it was a bad idea to warn about possible misinformation in what other people write.

As to writing about "the merits & demerits of the different flavors of CCleaner", I thought that was the point of 80 per cent of the message I replied to.

Maybe I should have warned people to check that the free version of CCleaner still has to features that they need to make it play nicely with MailWasher.
MK
MW Pro 7.5.0 Lifetime licence.
Android 1.4 on Asus Nexus 7 and LG Nexus 4

Windows 10 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCI-e AHCI SSD + Corsair 16GB DDR4 Red Vengeance LPX 2400MHz Memory

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”