Problem closing MW Pro 7.1.0

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Problem closing MW Pro 7.1.0

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am

On my computer, if I click on the SysTray icon for MW and choose "Exit", the icon disappears but MW itself is still running (according to Task Manager>Processes.) Attempting later to restart MW then produces the message it is "already running" but I cannot access the interface. If I choose File>Exit from the MW screen, it closes without problem. (I have been able to reproduce this behaviour every time so it is not, for my system at least, only an occasional problem.)

Please advise how I may restore the function to fully exit from the SysTray icon. Thanks!

(Sorry if I'm repeating something that has been asked before but I could not find any reference to the problem on this forum.)

Win 7 32 bit, Intel Q9650, 4Gb RAM, MW Pro 7.1.0

I've just seen the post re a similar problem and Win 8 Pro 64 bit. I did try the "fix" suggested but it does not allow me to do what I've always been able to do with previous versions, which is to keep MW minimized to the SysTray (and so checking for new email regularly) and to simply click on the SysTray icon to view any new mail, since that "solution" closes MW whenever the X is clicked.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Re: Problem closing MW Pro 7.1.0

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:07 am

Go to Settings, General, Application and indicate how you have the settings under Minimize set.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:56 pm

I'd suggest trying out the following configuration for a while:-
Minimizing.png
Minimizing.png (125.2 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks for these replies.

My Settings are now as suggested in the most recent post, but, as might be expected from that screen, clicking X now closes MW, which is what I really don't want. If the screen shot actually meant to show that "Minimize MW..." should be ticked but to minimize to Task Bar, this again does not allow MW to be closed from the Task Bar icon (right clicking the icon and choosing Close Window) has no effect.

Surely, this is not intended behaviour? It is certainly different to previous versions.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

emmrecs wrote:clicking X now closes MW, which is what I really don't want.
What's the reason for not wanting MWP to close when X is clicked - just curious. :?:
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm

emmrecs wrote:On my computer, if I click on the SysTray icon for MW and choose "Exit", the icon disappears but MW itself is still running (according to Task Manager>Processes.) Attempting later to restart MW then produces the message it is "already running" but I cannot access the interface.
emmrecs wrote:Surely, this is not intended behaviour? It is certainly different to previous versions.
Nope, not at all!!!
Cannot reproduce what you described - my latest MWP shuts off obediently through the SysTray completely without reflecting anywhere as a running process. :)
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

TrustFire wrote:
What's the reason for not wanting MWP to close when X is clicked - just curious. :?:
Because I like to have it running in the background, checking for new email and then notifying me via the SysTray icon!

Re your second post: since you cannot reproduce the problem I have and it is not intended behaviour, do you have any suggestions about how to solve it? It happens every time I right-click on the SysTray icon and choose Exit, the icon disappears but Task manager>Processes shows it as still running and I cannot then re-start it without first ending it via TM!
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:17 pm

emmrecs wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
Because I like to have it running in the background, checking for new email and then notifying me via the SysTray icon!
That's exactly the role of the Minimize button - the X button is meant to close / shutdown MWP (there's no need to use the X button instead, when one needs to merely execute a Minimize in order to check mail in the background.) :scratch

The following configuration will accomplish exactly what you're looking for:-
Minimizing.png
Minimizing.png (121.18 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 pm

emmrecs wrote:Re your second post: since you cannot reproduce the problem I have and it is not intended behaviour, do you have any suggestions about how to solve it? It happens every time I right-click on the SysTray icon and choose Exit, the icon disappears but Task manager>Processes shows it as still running and I cannot then re-start it without first ending it via TM!
Did you try using the exclusions from the following link:-

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... e92#p71900 :thumbsup
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

TrustFire wrote:
emmrecs wrote:
TrustFire wrote:
That's exactly the role of the Minimize button - the X button is meant to close / shutdown MWP (there's no need to use the X button instead, when one needs to merely execute a Minimize in order to check mail in the background.) :scratch
]
OK. Point taken re Minimize v X but this still does not solve the problem of the SysTray icon>exit not working. (I tried the "obvious" Minimize click and, again, the icon does not allow a complete closedown.) I will certainly look in detail at the post you referenced, though I do not see why my firewall should be preventing shutdown from the icon but allowing it via File>Exit?
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:40 pm

emmrecs wrote:I do not see why my firewall should be preventing shutdown from the icon but allowing it via File>Exit?
No, it's not about merely your firewall - you'll need to check out your entire array of security system.

ps:-
Some firewalls like COMODO / Emsisoft contain an HIPS module, too - that would be the culprit (however, other modules apart from the HIPS - like AntiVirus, too can be responsible for that abnormal behavior.)

The firewall was just an example.
emmrecs
Travelling Tuatara

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 pm

TrustFire wrote:
emmrecs wrote:I do not see why my firewall should be preventing shutdown from the icon but allowing it via File>Exit?
No, it's not about merely your firewall - you'll need to check out your entire array of security system.

ps:-
Some firewalls like COMODO / Emsisoft contain an HIPS module, too - that would be the culprit (however, other modules apart from the HIPS - like AntiVirus, too can be responsible for that abnormal behavior.)

The firewall was just an example.
OK. Understood. But why is this behaviour "new" to this latest version? (My firewall/antivirus is VIPRE Internet Security 2013, I'll certainly have a look at its HIPS module.)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 pm

emmrecs wrote:OK. Understood. But why is this behaviour "new" to this latest version? (My firewall/antivirus is VIPRE Internet Security 2013, I'll certainly have a look at its HIPS module.)
Firewalls, AntiVirus, HIPS, etc., etc. are dependent on a database of whitelisted executables that are scanned against their known digital signatures and / or checksums — every time a program (not exclusive to MWP — any program,) is updated — the security system can get befuddled due to the respective change in the attributes of the new updated executable. 8)

This unwanted scanning can cause lag in the working of the mentioned executable. :(

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”