mailwasher 6.5.3 does not end

Whether you're a MailWasher veteran or complete newbie, all users are welcome to get together. Discussions include usage and possible problems.
dalejanus
Rattled Rabbit

mailwasher 6.5.3 does not end

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:26 am

I do not use mailwasher every day. I am running windows xp sp3.

A few months ago, mailwasher would not end. I would click the red x and it would say "mailwasher is still learning etc etc". I would wait, but it would never clear. I could not end the program. I would have to use task manager to end it.

Probably as a result of this, it appears to have lost my preference and marks many emails as spam that I do not want to be considered spam.

So I spend a lot of time clicking from from spam to good. then when I process the mail , it never ends. when I try to end the program, it give the message, " mailwasher is still learning, etc"
When this happens, it does not matter if I click cancel on the box or the red x on the box. Mailwasher does not end.
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Re: mailwasher 6.5.3 does not end

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 am

Well you are using an old version, you should go to 6.5.4 that has some bugfixes once you get the problem sorted.

It has been a while since I used v6 but I think if you exit MW and delete the training directory it may start working better and your retraining should start working.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Before you delete the full training folder, try deleting the index file. If you go Help >> About >> open the link to where MailWasher stores the data files >> then close MailWasher so it's not running >> in the Training folder delete the file TrainingMA.dat

MailWasher will rebuild that file on next start. If that doesn't produce any good results though, then unfortunate the best step would be to wipe out the full Training folder using the above steps, but as Stan mentions too, you'll be losing all the trained messages and will need to retrain MailWasher which messages are good and bad....usually takes around 200 emails before you start seeing decent results.
dalejanus
Rattled Rabbit

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:31 am

Thanks for the tips on the training directory. I will delete the index first, then if that does not work, the directory.
I don't mind retraining if it fixes the problem.

I will also look into newer version. I missed out on 2011/12 version, but 6 does what I want, so I don't know if I want to buy a newer version.

---Dale
stan_qaz
Omniscient Kiwi

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 am

The upgrades to later versions of version 6 are free, a part of the original purchase price.
I am not a Firetrust employee just a MW user.
--
First rule of computer consulting: Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day,
sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:55 pm

dalejanus wrote:I will also look into newer version.
You don't have to pay for this one - link to the 6.5.4 download page:-
http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailw ... 6/download
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
med
Rattled Rabbit

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Get this regularly now
plus hundreds of Pop-up "you have not made a mistake..."
Trying to co-exist with MW12 on dedicated XPSP3 box- (not convinced by 12 yet)

new error - not sure which updates make the changes
mailwasher.jpg
mailwasher.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 7833 times
"the TraingingMA file was saved by a different version......"
will delete Indexes and maybe try 6.5.4
can we recall a Tarining file from backup,? 9 years of training and main attraction to the program ...

Still my favourite utility though
keep up the good work Nick

Malcolm
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

You can safely delete the TrainingMA.dat file yourself and just let MailWasher rebuild it on startup to see if that works any better.

If restoring from a backup, then in your backup of the MailWasher data files you want to look for the Training folder. If I recall there is just three files to restore, a junk file, a legitimate file and the trainingMA.dat one.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Help for MailWasher 5 and 6”