Washing Mail not working?

MailWasher Mobile for IOS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad), Android devices and Windows Phone 8.
EldorG
Student Sheep

Re: Washing Mail not working?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:10 am

Sidewinder wrote:
They are not visible in MWM but my guess is that FT has them on their server side. Rather than post them here (public forum) I suggest that you send them to Nick when your respond to his request by EMail.
Hmmm... Do I understand correctly that when using MWP on a PC, the washing takes place WITHOUT going through FT servers? And that with the mobile app, washing DOES go through FT servers?

I think that the outgoing settings are the problem in my case, and I really don't know what I can send Nick that he'd be able to use.

My mail and web hosting is done at a remote site and I use a setting for incoming mail that works. Sending email however, needs to be done through my cable Internet suppliers domain. Which only works (accepts the email) when you're actually ON their network. Doing this on my iPhone when I'm in my office or my home and connected through WiFi to the Videotron cable network would require the same setting. However, when I'm in another location (such as when travelling) and on a different network, it would require different outgoing settings. I guess this is the problem.

How does MWM get or inherit those outgoing settings? Is it done by making them in MWP and then Syncing? Or is it done some other way?

It looks like I'm going to have to figure out some outgoing settings that will work regardless of where I connect from.

When I'm in my office connecting through the Videotron (my cable Internet provider) network, my outgoing SMTP Server is: relais.videotron.ca on port 25. When I'm connecting elsewhere, (I'm getting this from the Mail app settings on my iPhone) the SMTP Server is: alternativesmtp.myhosting.com on port 587. Using the videotron SMTP server when not connected through Videotron doesn't work. This MUST be the problem!

I'm going to have to find an outgoing SMTP server that will work for me from any connection and then I'm going to have to figure out how to get those settings into MWM on my iPhone.

Thank you (and Nick too of course) for your help!

Eldor
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 am

I think you have probably provided Nick with sufficient details about your server profiles. I let them pick up from here.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 am

We're not actually using the outgoing settings, because we're not doing anything with them.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 am

Two final things from me and I'll defer to Nick from here on.

If you have the Mail App on your phone set for auto check then you might be creating a contention with MWM for phone resources. Try going with only a manual checks for your Mail App and MWM and then when you see MWM return to the Inbox after the Wash then try the manual Check Mail.

Also Nick asked if you can set him up with a test account. That would likely be the fastest way to look for a resolution.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 am

My apologies for looking down the wrong path.
However, are you sure that the Incoming Account Settings in the IPhone are exactly the same as what you have on your PC?
EldorG
Student Sheep

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:10 am

I was going to report partial success today about getting this issue resolved, but...

I changed the outgoing message settings on my desktop MWP (which had ONLY been working as long as I was connected through my cable Internet provider, Videotron.ca) to something that SHOULD be working regardless of how I'm connecting to the Internet. Those settings are how I had Mail working on my iPhone as the settings from my desktop machine would not work if I was connecting through cellular services. I changed those settings on my desktop, did a sync, and have for several hours now been trying to check email on my iPhone using MWM.

My desktop MWP is also running and it checks for new mail every 10 minutes. Whenever it would beep to tell me there was new mail, I'd check it with my iPhone and MWM. I'd mark messages for deletion and then Wash them on the iPhone with MWM. I'd then immediately open MWP on my desktop, Check for new mail, and the messages I'd marked and washed on MWM were GONE!!!! I was really happy.

I did this already 4-6 times this morning and was about to report success.

But then I marked and washed 3 messages using MWM and they CONTINUE to show up in MWP on my desktop. No matter how many times I swipe and check for new mail with MWM, they do NOT show up there anymore. It's half an hour now that I've been checking and those 3 messages are still there.

The other thing that I've been noticing as I was testing was that when MWP would alert me there was new mail, I'd check MWM and nothing would be there. I'd swipe to check again and after the spinning gear stopped the messages would still not be there. It would take 3 or 4 swipes (consistently) before messages would show up in MWM that had shown up in MWP.

MWP just alerted me to 2 additional new messages (5 now showing up in MWP) and my first check in MWM doesn't show up any. 3rd sync of MWM showed up the 2 new ones (the other 3 still show up on MWP) and marking and washing them on MWM has now made those 2 messages disappear in MWP but the first 3 are still there. Checking my mail with my mail program on my PC brought those 3 down and deleted them from the server.

So... partial progress.
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 am

You have to remember that MWM is communicating with a FT server that only polls the actual mail server periodically.
Therefore it may frequently not have the exact same contact at the exact same moment as MWP.
Think of their server as another iteration of MWP but with different timing than your desktop running MWP.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am

But then I marked and washed 3 messages using MWM and they CONTINUE to show up in MWP on my desktop. No matter how many times I swipe and check for new mail with MWM, they do NOT show up there anymore. It's half an hour now that I've been checking and those 3 messages are still there.
Are you using IMAP or POP3 in MailWasher Pro? It does sound like there's a collision of some sort in checking which locks the account temporarily so emails do not actually get deleted. This could happen across Mailwasher Pro, MWM, Outlook etc if you're using all of these.
MWP just alerted me to 2 additional new messages (5 now showing up in MWP) and my first check in MWM doesn't show up any. 3rd sync of MWM showed up the 2 new ones (the other 3 still show up on MWP) and marking and washing them on MWM has now made those 2 messages disappear in MWP but the first 3 are still there. Checking my mail with my mail program on my PC brought those 3 down and deleted them from the server.
As Sidewinder mentioned, this is because our servers polls your actual mail server periodically
EldorG
Student Sheep

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 am

I'm using POP3 everywhere... MWP and MWM, Mail on the iPhone, etc. And not using Outlook at all. On my PC my mail client is Thunderbird. And it's set up as POP3 there too. I also use Benign on the PC.

Whatever it was that caused those two messages to remain on the server and not reappear on MWM, seems to have been a glitch. I've been trying to use only MWM to check and wash my mail since Sunday and (knock on wood) it seems to be working better now that I changed my SMTP server settings everywhere.

As far as your servers only polling my mail server "periodically"... you mean that even when I swipe down to sync in MWM, there might not be any checking actually going on? That would explain why so many times I see there are messages for me through MWP yet swiping/syncing over and over in MWP doesn't bring them down. The frustration with that delay is that I THINK there are no messages for me but when I check my Mail client on the iPhone I can easily end up with a hundred messages that if I could have, I would have marked and washed in MWM. When this happens, it means I have to process those messages TWICE and since there isn't a way to quickly mark ALL messages (and then unmark the one or two I want to keep) it's a long and slow process. In Mail and then back in MWM when the messages finally do show up.

Thanks for your help.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks for the explanation and how you use it. We've got a few improvements to work on including making it more efficient in checking for users who are frequent checkers. We do this to a certain extent at the moment but need to refine this without causing blocking for too frequent checking like hosts such as hotmail do.

we are also re-doing much off the app so that if you have filters etc on mw pro to delete spam, it will do it at the same time on mwm
EldorG
Student Sheep

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 am

Thank you Nick.

I am most anxiously awaiting the improvements to MWM. I love MWP so much and have been a supporter of it for so many years, that I'm really lost and frustrated without that functionality on other platforms. Just yesterday and today I've deleted the SAME 200+ messages FOUR TIMES already, until finally getting to my office and deleting them through MWP. I'd deleted them with MWP early yesterday evening. Then again late at night. And then I opened the Mail app on my iPhone only to find them there again! That's three times, and this morning on MWP. SIGH Don't know what was wrong as I hadn't changed any settings and didn't get any error messages that I noticed.

And while I've got your ear, after being a PC user ever since they came out, I've added a Macbook Air to my kit to use mostly as I travel. I use Thunderbird on that for my email and can sync my emails perfectly between my PC and Mac, and I WISH there would be a Mailwasher Pro for the Mac. If there was, I wouldn't be so frustrated with MWM not being perfect.

Cheers!
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I was wondering if you're able to get me a test email account under Myhosting.com from your existing account ? I see the most basic package gives you 5 free accounts. If not, I'll signup and give it a shot as it's only $3.55

We do have a Mac version in development, just finishing up the design of how it will look and then need to bolt the user interface on to the processing engine. It's actually completely new and so won't have all the bells and whistles of the current Windows version yet, but we'll be able to make a Windows, Mac and Linux version from it. It will also be much faster.

Return to “Mobile for IOS/Android/Windows Phone 8”