How to let MailWasher Leave Mail on Server

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

How to let MailWasher Leave Mail on Server

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to set MW to leave mail on the server so that I can still fetch it with my Opera mail client even after letting MW wash it away.
As it is now, after I have MW wash my mail away, I cannot fetch it anymore with my Opera mail client. So I always check for new mail with MW to see if there is any spam there to report it to SpamCop, but still leaving the other mail in MW, then go to my Opera mail client and fetch the non-spam mail with it, then return to MW and let it wash that mail away.

It's no biggie of course, but if one could have MW wash everything away and then click MW away -to the task bar- it would save one the extra clicking to return to MW, have it wash the mail that's still in it, and then click it to the task bar. It could all be done the first time in one go.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: How to let MailWasher Leave Mail on Server

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Lode wrote:Hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to set MW to leave mail on the server so that I can still fetch it with my Opera mail client even after letting MW wash it away.
As it is now, after I have MW wash my mail away, I cannot fetch it anymore with my Opera mail client. So I always check for new mail with MW to see if there is any spam there to report it to SpamCop, but still leaving the other mail in MW, then go to my Opera mail client and fetch the non-spam mail with it, then return to MW and let it wash that mail away.

It's no biggie of course, but if one could have MW wash everything away and then click MW away -to the task bar- it would save one the extra clicking to return to MW, have it wash the mail that's still in it, and then click it to the task bar. It could all be done the first time in one go.
Hi Lode; Are you saying that, after a wash, all mail has gone from the server? This can only happen, if all messages (including the "good" ones), have been checked for deletion. :scratch There must be some foul- up in your settings if this happens, as MailWasher is supposed to only check spam or other unwanted junk for deletion. Upon a wash, it subsequently deletes all checked messages and leave the rest ("good" mssgs) on the server, ready to be fetched by your E-mail client...

:arrow: First thing I would look at, is your spam ratings:SETTINGS>>SPAM TOOLS>>SPAM RATINGS and see if [Auto delete if rating reaches] has been checked. If so: first of all uncheck that option; furthermore you could play a bit with the sliders in this screen. You could try and give more "weight" to your friends list, and less to all other sliders.

After that, see if this has any effect, and come back to us here.. Success!
Beta tester.. oh well! ;)..
Mobile phone: Moto G5 on Android 8
MWP FAQ
¡Nederlandstalige gebruiksaanwijzing!
...Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Lode wrote:. . . . . . . . . then go to my Opera mail client and fetch the non-spam mail with it, then return to MW and let it wash that mail away.
Once you fetch the mails using Opera Mail, you should not need to have to go back to wash the same with MWP (unless you had configured your Opera Mail server setting wrongly at the time of creating your account by entering the details as Leave messages on server.)

The correct server configuration while setting up your Opera Mail should've been to disable (un-check / un-tick) the Leave messages on server box as per the following illustration:--
  • Opera_Mail_Server.png
    Opera_Mail_Server.png (70.98 KiB) Viewed 13719 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:29 am

Lode wrote:Hi!

MWP will automatically remove the good messages from the InBox on the next Check Mail after Opera has downloaded them from the server without your intervention. That is unless you have Opera set to "Leave a copy of the message on the server" or you have your account set up as IMAP rather than POP. If your account is IMAP and you cannot change it to POP or you have other reasons for using IMAP then you need to use Opera to move the new messages to a different IMAP folder.
I am not a Firetrust employee. Just a MW User & Volunteer BETA Tester.
Remember "FREEDOM IS NEVER FREE" U.S.N.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 am

Thank you both. :thumbsup

I did mean that MWP when I let it wash away -delete- all mail -including non-spam- I can't fetch it anymore with my Opera mail client. I have to let Opera mail fetch it before I let MWP delete it.

I'm not knowledgeable about these things, and maybe it can't be done, but otherwise I was suggesting that MWP -while deleting the mail from appearing on itself- would still leave it on the server so I could still have my Opera mail fetch it. And set Opera so that only after it fetches the mail it is deleted from the server. I wouldn't mind fetching the spam I had MWP report to SpamCop again with Opera mail together with the good mail. I would just click the spam away and wait a minute for the SpamCop report confirmation message. In the mean time reading the good mail, and if necessary answer it. Then respond to the SpamCop confirmation request.

But again, it's no biggie if that can't be done. I was just wondering... maybe... :mrgreen:
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:24 am

If you remove the check mark from the delete column for all messages then MWP will not delete them from the server when you do a Wash.
It really not a good idea to let the Spam messages get loaded by your email application. It defeats the purpose of MWP and puts your system at risk for infection/hack etc. from the spammers.
DT W7 64 HP SP1 16GB Ram - LT W7 32 HP SP1 4GB Ram - iPad4 64 GB Ram WiFi/Cellular IOS 9.3 Beta 3
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 am

Lode wrote:Thank you both. :thumbsup

I did mean that MWP when I let it wash away -delete- all mail -including non-spam- I can't fetch it anymore with my Opera mail client.
When MWP is used to delete Good mails, those messages are no longer available on the server - this causes the e-mail client to be unable to fetch any such mail already deleted by MWP.
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 am

Lode wrote:Thank you both. :thumbsup

I did mean that MWP when I let it wash away -delete- all mail -including non-spam- I can't fetch it anymore with my Opera mail client. I have to let Opera mail fetch it before I let MWP delete it.(...)
That's what I thought you ment... MailWasher is not supposed to delete "good"mail, so I suspect you have one or more settings wrong. If you folow the steps in my previous posting (http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.ph ... 083#p84047) you should be well on the way of solving your problem....
MWP FAQ
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:33 am

Thanks for the explanation.

Usually the spam I got I had deleted by MWP after reporting it to SpamCop. But when I forgot or did not bother with that until I had fetched all mail in Opera, and returned to MWP to have it delete all, and so got spam in my Opera browser integrated mail client, I by default had the client run sandboxed (Sandboxie) so I wasn't worried about it. Plus I never opened attachments from unknown senders. (Within the sandbox malware could still copy my contacts I always thought.)

Do I understand it well that by changing the ratings correctly MWP will only fetch spam, and not good mail? I think I must misunderstand that. I though MWP always fetches all mail. I never thought about those ratings, or what they could do, and what they were for... :oops:

"Auto delete if rating reaches:" I was already unchecked.

Above that I see "Friends list" set at 80. "Black list" set at -80, "Origin of spam" at -50, and "First alert" at -150.

"First alert" is enabled and "Accuracy - Speed" is set at 3. The 2 boxes under that -"Hide emails" and "Auto delete"- are not checked.

"Learning settings" is enabled, "Bayesian sensitivity" is set at "Low", below that "Minimum word length" 4, "Maximum word length" 30, "Use lower case" is checked, "Good Token Weight" is 2000000, "Minimum count for inclusion" is 5, "Certain spam count" is 10, and "Interesting word count" is set at 20.

I've never touched any of the above, not understanding anything about it.

Maybe all this info was unnecessary, but since I don't know that... just in case. ;)
Any further advice is welcome, as I don't know what I'm doing, as is obvious to you. Except that I have reported spam to SpamCop with it. The main reason for getting MWP in the first place for me.

It's almost as if I'm discovering MWP for the first time. :D
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 am

MWP always bring in a fragment of all messages it finds on the server. You need to do your review of all messages that are in the MWP Inbox before you run Opera making sure to mark all messages as spam and mark them for deletion. Also if any good messages are marked as spam remark them as good and make sure they are not marked for delete. Then do another quick Check Mail to catch any sneakers followed by the Wash and Opera to download the good mail which removes it from the server. The next Check Mail by MWP will clear the Inbox of those messages that Opera removed from the server automatically.
racker
Knowledgeable Kea

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 am

Lode wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
Do I understand it well that by changing the ratings correctly MWP will only fetch spam, and not good mail? I think I must misunderstand that. I though MWP always fetches all mail. I never thought about those ratings, or what they could do, and what they were for... :oops:
(...)
As Sidewinder explained, MWP will fetch a portion of all mail on the server in order to be able to classify them either as "spam" or as "good".
- After classification, the "spam" rated messages will be checked for deletion; the "good" mail will be left alone.
- Normally you should then do a "wash mail", whereupon only the spam will be deleted from the server.
- After that, if you let Opera collect your mail, that client will only find the "good" messages that are left on the server.
- :!: Please note: You should never let Opera collect any mail before you have "washed" it by means of MWP, so "automatic mail-checking" should be OFF in Opera. If you wish to take full advantage of MWP's possibilities, you should only have Opera fetch mail manually, and only AFTER a wash.
Last edited by racker on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MWP FAQ
Sidewinder
Weary Womble

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:03 am

Another clarification messages are not being passed from the mail server to MWP and then to Opera. They are only on the mail server until Opera downloads them to your PC and deletes them from the server.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 pm

To get a clear picture of what is happening, I just send myself 2 test mails while having my webmail page of my ISP open. When I receive the mails and have MWP wash it away it disappears from my webmail page. So it won't show up when fetching mail with Opera.
The other way around -first fetching it with Opera- it stays on my webmail page until I have MWP fetch it and then wash it away.

From what I understand from your explanations, it is not possible to set MWP to leave all mail on my webmail server after it has fetched and washed it away. While my Opera mail can do that. (I have it set to "Leave messages on server".)

Do I understand that well?

(And thank you again for being helpful explaining things to me.)
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Lode wrote:To get a clear picture of what is happening, I just send myself 2 test mails while having my webmail page of my ISP open. When I receive the mails and have MWP wash it away it disappears from my webmail page. So it won't show up when fetching mail with Opera.
Those test mails were not SPAM but Good mails from a valid sender - you, yourself. Why should you be washing Good mails with MWP :?:

Those mails won't show up when fetching with Opera - rightly so, after being already washed away by your MWP.

Lode wrote:The other way around -first fetching it with Opera- it stays on my webmail page until I have MWP fetch it and then wash it away.
This way is also wrong - you need to first wash SPAM only with MWP and only then - but immediately thereafter, fetch the Good mails using your e-mail client (so that SPAM isn't received in that split interim period.)

Lode wrote:From what I understand from your explanations, it is not possible to set MWP to leave all mail on my webmail server after it has fetched and washed it away.
It's not possible to set MWP either enabled/disabled from leaving messages on the server - either before/after Opera Mail has fetched and washed away your mails. In short, there is no such setting in MWP - that configuration exists only on e-mail clients (like Opera Mail.)

By default, once the wash command is issued, MWP will not leave mail(s) on the server which the User marked for delete - mail(s) thus marked need(s) to be ideally SPAM {not Good mail(s) that one would want fetched, using the e-mail client.}

Lode wrote:While my Opera mail can do that. (I have it set to "Leave messages on server".)
This is the mistake that you're making - you should not leave your Opera Mail configured to Leave messages on server {kindly refer to one of my earlier posts, above - illustrating the same.} :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

You may also want to check out the following video - might help get your basics right:--

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”