Setting up Amazon Instant Video Rule

philg
Mystified Moa

Setting up Amazon Instant Video Rule

Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Hello
I live in the Netherlands, and I want to watch Amazon.co.uk Instant Video which is only available in the UK.
I have tried setting up a new rule, for the website *.amazon.co.uk, with location = London, UK, but it doesn't work.
When I click on 'Watch', I still get the "not available in your country/region" message.
I am using the trial version of Hideaway and if I can get this to work, then I will definitely buy it! :D
Many thanks in advance
PhilG
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Re: Setting up Amazon Instant Video Rule

Sun May 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Sorry yeah I screed up that example rule, apparently if you create a rule *.amazon.co.uk it may not filter if there is no subdomain or www

So instead try *amazon.co.uk
That should get it working, if not though let me know and I'll sign up for the service to test with.

Cheers
philg
Mystified Moa

Mon May 18, 2015 2:50 am

Hi again

No, that didn't work. Additionally, BBC iPlayer did work when I first set up HideAway, but it isn't now.
Note: I did turn off HideAway while it was in "Paused" mode, so I don't know if that has caused a problem or not.
I have McAfee SiteAdvisor installed, so I hope that isn't causing problems.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.
Bye
PhilG
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 18, 2015 3:00 am

Ah yup, add another rule into that filter for *amazon.com as it's coming via that domain
philg
Mystified Moa

Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 am

Sorry, still no joy.
Attached is a screenshot of the rule that I have created.
amazon-hideaway.jpg
Hideaway Amazon Rule
amazon-hideaway.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 11932 times
BTW, should the Encryption be turned on or off? What difference does that make?

What next?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

No, no need to bother with adding encryption into this, it simply encrypts between your machine and the server. Useful when you're accessing internet via public wifi etc...

I'm very puzzled, mines working, seemingly after a browser restart yet I'd done that several times already. Chrome was working straight away for me, which initially made me think it was related to Silverlight which FF uses, Chrome uses Flash.

So I did disable the Silterlight DRM option under Start >> Programs >> Microsoft Silverlight >> under the Playback tab uncheck the DRM option there at the top >> restart Firefox. But now that I re-enabled, things are still working...

So presumably just be sure you restart FF after making any changes to your rules in HideAway, sometimes the old session cookies contain the location. If that doesn't work, try nudging that DRM option. If you have another browser too, be interesting to see if that works.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Also to add, on some machines it looks like HideAway isn't resuming from Sleep properly, in the interim to fix that either restart HideAway or just disable/re-enable the rule.

Not sure if you're using Sleep, but figured worth a mention.
philg
Mystified Moa

Tue May 19, 2015 4:39 am

Good news! I deleted all temporary Internet files and cookies, restarted Internet Explorer 11 and now everything works. :bow
I shall be procuring a license later tonight.
Thanks for the support.
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Tue May 19, 2015 1:36 pm

OK great. I'll be sure to add cookie clearing to my list :)
philg
Mystified Moa

Wed May 20, 2015 9:15 am

Bad news! Today I did the same thing (deleted all temporary Internet files and cookies, restarted Internet Explorer 11) and it doesn't work.
I tried installing Chrome, but that didn't help either.
I have tried every combination of deleting the cookies/temp files, restarting IE, having HideAway on/off while deleting or restarting IE, but today nothing works. Amazon UK and BBC iPlayer keep telling me that I am in the wrong region.
I have no idea what is different from yesterday.
Very frustrating (especially as I have now bought a license)!
Any more ideas...?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 20, 2015 12:40 pm

OK sure thing.

First in HideAway go into My Rules and check your Amazon rule(s) don't have a strike through them. If they do that means HideAway lost connection with the server location and disabled the rule. To fix that just click icon to change location >> Save.

Restart browser, see if that works.

If not, try redirecting the whole browser through instead, just to see if it loads then.

For BBC iPlayer, is that using our default rule ? We're finding something has changed with that, looking into that one now.
philg
Mystified Moa

Wed May 20, 2015 5:44 pm

I have 3 rules set up; 2 out-of-the-box (BBC iPlayer and Marvel) and one custom (Amazon Instant Video).
Sometimes when I start HideAway, all 3 are crossed out, with a message about my location not being reachable. By turning them off and on again (the tick icon), they become active. Often I restart HideAway anyway, just in case.
For BBC iPlayer, I have not changed to default rule.
I have restarted the browser countless times, without success.
By redirecting the whole browser through, do you mean set up a rule for domain = '*'?
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Wed May 20, 2015 5:50 pm

philg wrote:I have 3 rules set up; 2 out-of-the-box (BBC iPlayer and Marvel) and one custom (Amazon Instant Video).
Sometimes when I start HideAway, all 3 are crossed out, with a message about my location not being reachable. By turning them off and on again (the tick icon), they become active. Often I restart HideAway anyway, just in case.
For BBC iPlayer, I have not changed to default rule.
I have restarted the browser countless times, without success.
By redirecting the whole browser through, do you mean set up a rule for domain = '*'?
If you go into the Add New Rule >> scroll down and look for the Software section, selecting your browser of choice, it means all content within that browser will get redirected.

We just fixed the default BBC iPlayer rule, so restarting HideAway will update that to the new rule as well.
philg
Mystified Moa

Sat May 23, 2015 6:06 pm

So it wasn't working, I went away for 3 days on a business trip, and now it is working (without changing anything).
I have *NO* idea what is going on!
If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know...
rusticdog
Firetrust Monkey

Sat May 23, 2015 6:51 pm

philg wrote:So it wasn't working, I went away for 3 days on a business trip, and now it is working (without changing anything).
I have *NO* idea what is going on!
If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know...
It's working. I'll take that :thumbsup

Return to “HideAway”