Server speed Amsterdam

olaf jansen
Rattled Rabbit

Server speed Amsterdam

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 am

Why is the server speed from the server in Amsterdam so low? The download speed is from my location in Sweden less then 100 kB/s.

I am a novice and I think the explanations and examples for HideAway are far below what I need. Give more complete examples and explain why.
What is the difference t.ex. between UPD and TCP and when to choose for one of them?
When do I need to choose another port?
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Server speed Amsterdam

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Olaf

Sorry you're seeing slow speeds like this. There's a few users who are also seeing this when they connect to various servers. It's our number one priority to fix this and we know what to do, it will just take a bit of time. There's two causes, we're not doing as good a job as we could at managing multiple users and I think in your case it might be because packets of data are being lost, or reliably sent due to routers and networks. We'll compensate users for this once we've fixed the issue.

Thanks for the feedback on the help, yes we'll expand on these definitely. UDP and TCP are just different ways of sending information over the internet and we're only giving people options of choosing one or the other (including a different port) if they happen to be blocked at their work or by their ISP.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 am

I am glad to hear this is being worked on as the responses from the HideAway servers appear to be not very good. I ran a series of speed tests yesterday using the service recommended by HydeAway. The best performance of all was consistently when I had HideAway turned off. I have also noticed that the Cairo server seems not to have been operating for several days now and neither Kansas City Missouri server is up and running today. I sent a screen print of all the servers and their speeds last week and Rustic Dog told me he thought the Frankfurt one looked add and someone would get back to me: not so far.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:31 am

We're actually getting rid of the Cairo server - it's just not reliable and we've shut down the Missouri servers due to reliability so we'll remove those from the interface soon. We've got France and Switzerland and New Zealand coming on soon

To do a proper speed test, you have to use the same speed test server all the time http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/hi ... speed-test
We get great speeds from here, but it's not until we get more people using it from around the world that we see some people have issues, so we've identified these and are working on them.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks for the response. When I did the tests I referred to I followed your link and used the site it leads to. I ran six tests each with HideAway redirecting all traffic through Frankfurt, London and Amsterdam. I also did six tests without HideAway running at all. After three tests of each site including not using HideAway, I rebooted and repeated the process. Each server behaved more or less similarly for each try in the first set and in the second. However there was a fairly marked difference between the first and second iterations with the second set outperforming the first. In each set, however, the fastest pings and the highest upload and download speeds came without HideAway running at all. I'm not a technician so in my ignorance I'm thinking high speeds and faster reaction times are better.

I'll run another trial when you have brought Switzerland on stream as that is where I live.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:09 am

You can expect some reduction in speed with encryption on as there's a processing cost for encrypting and decrypting packets of information. Your mileage will vary, but from where I am (New Zealand) connecting to the US (California) I'll get around twice the speed. Higher speeds and lower ping are better.

When we finish our improvements to our servers, you should get better and more consistent results, but as with any speed tests your results will vary because so many things can impact speed. We're mostly concerned where some of our users are getting ridiculously slow speeds.

Our Swiss server is going to take about 2 weeks as they ran out of hardware.
Andrew42
Active Albatross

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks. I'll be watching and waiting.
olaf jansen
Rattled Rabbit

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:39 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the response. Today I tested the Amsterdam server again with the same low result. I installed HideAway just to get access in the Netherlands. How long will it take to solve this problem?
I noticed also that as soon as I enable HideAway my internet speed drops about 25%.
What is the optimum rule/filter to get access in the Netherlands for t.ex. this site: http://www.npo.nl/het-verborgen-leven-v ... ON_1242879

Olaf
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:55 am

If your internet is going across to another country then it's pretty normal to see a speed drop compared to your local internet speeds because it's further away and has to go through many different networks, plus there's a speed cost to enabling encryption. We are working on our problem so hope to have a resolution soon - after testing I'd hope 2 weeks time.
I'd write a rule that redirects *npo.nl so that it will pick up all domains at npl.nl
olaf jansen
Rattled Rabbit

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Can't get access to the content whatever I try. Till now HideAway did not bring me what I had expected. I do not think I will continue my subscription after the trial month.

Olaf
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 pm

It doesn't actually expire, so you're free to try it again when you want to. We'll roll out these changes in the near future to improve the servers and you should see the improvements you expect.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Switzerland and France are now available for use, just restart HideAway to see them.

Return to “HideAway”