Horrendous performance with HA activated

Elektra
Active Albatross

Horrendous performance with HA activated

Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:46 am

I really regret having purchased this because my connection has slowed down incredibly. Most pages take at least 30 seconds to open and YouTube videos are practically impossible to view. Only email works as it should.

I have a 50 MB/s satellite connection but look what I'm getting through HideAway (see attached screenshot). Furthermore, why is it that the User Guide only mentions latency and does not cover download or upload speeds and why is it not available to download?
Attachments
HA.png
HideAway Screenshot
HA.png (62.52 KiB) Viewed 8032 times
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Re: Horrendous performance with HA activated

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:48 pm

Sorry for the late reply, we didn't get notification that this was posted for some reason.

We've had some people get slow speeds on Hideaway and we know what the issue is so we're working through a solution to it - basically a lot comes down to error correction and jitter which we're not handling as well as we could be. We'll be happy to more than make up your time by extending your license until we get this right. Latency can be more important when you're loading web pages as that is the round trip time for each request, and I can see your latency is really high! I don't know which location you're in but those figures mean its taking at least half a second to get back if you're in Europe. We're in New Zealand and my latency figure to Paris is 300ms.

So I think the problem comes down to error correction and partly because satellite internet has higher latency as well.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 pm

What web browser are you using? I'll post a user guide pdf tomorrow - just need to get it generated.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm

At the time I posted that I had it set to use Melbourne because that was supposed to have the best download speed. I though that would help in loading pages faster.
I have since switched to Paris as that had the best ping rate. Regretfully, it hasn't made any significant difference. Perhaps it would be best not to use HA until you have solved the issue?

FYI, I use Firefox.
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, could you try this and let me know if it makes a difference.

Open a tab in Firefox, type about:config and press enter. Click through the warning button.

enter 'dns' in the search box on that page.

Double click on the entry network.DnsCacheExpiration and change the value to 60.

Try going to a page now in Firefox with Hideaway working. Did that make any difference?

We'll have a new version out in the next day or so, but unfortunately it doesn't contain the fix you're looking for yet as we're still working on that side. So I'd stop using HideAway for now.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Ok, I tried that but I couldn't really see any difference.
Since making that change I reran HA's speed tests and it seems as though they are worse although that may have nothing to do with the DNS change made in Firefox.

Incidentally, I also have a 20 MB/sec ADSL connection. Before abandoning HA, would you like me to speed test HA using that? I ask because you said that a satellite connection gives higher latency.
Attachments
HA_screenshot.png
HideAway screenshot
HA_screenshot.png (60.76 KiB) Viewed 8009 times
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Ok yes you could try testing it with your adsl connection, you should get much better results. But in saying that, we still have a handful of users who have issues with this too
Elektra
Active Albatross

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Well today I am using the ADSL connection and it appears I am getting better ping results although I have no idea of my download and upload speeds.
Attachments
HA_screenshot.png
Hideaway Screenshot
HA_screenshot.png (54.69 KiB) Viewed 7995 times
nick.bolton
The Big Cheese

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Yes, those are pretty normal ping results. We removed the upload and download speeds as they ended up not being very helpful, we'd get people going for the highest download speed but the server would be right across the other side of the world so the ping would be horrible and so they'd end up with something slower than they expected. We'll probably add it back in once we figure out a more objective and useful download and upload measure.
Elektra
Active Albatross

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 am

Well I regret to inform you that since updating to v1.3.0 I am now unable to get even my mail so I have taken your advice and closed HA. I will also remove the option to start with Windows. I'm hanging on until you have your proposed fix in place.

Return to “HideAway”