Needing an App for Reporting to SpamCop?

Forum for MailWasher Pro 7 and/or older 2011/2012 versions.
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Needing an App for Reporting to SpamCop?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 am

Hi!
I switched from Opera 12.17 with integrated mail client to Opera 30, the latest version. But that one has no build-in email client. So I installed Opera's stand alone email program: Opera Mail.

That stand alone Opera Mail works fine, and so does MailWasher still for reporting spam to SpamCop. But when SpamCop sends me a request for confirmation, and I click on the URL from SpamCop, nothing happens, except that now a small panel appears from Windows 8.1 with: "No apps are installed to open this type of link (http). Look for an app in the store." When I click on that I get a Windows 8.1 page with 12 apps, but I have no idea which one to choose, nor if the one I would need is even on there.

When I copy the reply URL SpamCop sends me in the Opera 30 browser it opens my SpamCop reporting page. So that works.

Under "Washing mail" > "E-mail program" MW by default offers 2 choices: Hotmail and Opera. But I suspect by "Opera" MW might mean the older Opera browser version. It also offers "Use other application" and "Use web address." But the web address is different every time for every spam confirmation report if I'm not mistaken. And I don't know what other application to use or how.

I'm not getting much spam anymore, so to see if the URL's are different for each confirmation to SpamCop I'll send myself 2 emails and report them as spam to SpamCop. Then when the confirmation requests come I can see if the URL's are different or the same. I won't confirm them as indeed being spam of course...

Yes, the URL's are different. So I can't fill in a URL in "Use web address."
Has anyone here any experience with this?
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Re: Needing an App for Reporting to SpamCop?

Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Somewhere in the Opera browser there should be a setting to make it the default browser. Try checking that and see if the links work.
Windows 10
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Check out the graphic illustration on how to make Opera, your default browser:—
  • Opera_Default_Browser.png
    Opera_Default_Browser.png (241.66 KiB) Viewed 9129 times
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:47 pm

The graphics look different in Opera 30, but I have it set at being the default browser now. At least I don't see the question anymore every time I open the browser in a top bar that appears asking "Do you want to make Opera your default browser? Yes / No."

I had already clicked "Yes" every time whether sandboxed (Sandboxie) or unsandboxed, and it didn't set. But now I saw this thanks to your tip under Settings:

Default browser
Opera is not currently your default browser
Make Opera my default browser

The last one is a button, and it worked. It now says "Opera is your default browser."

But still clicking on the SpamCop confirmation URL gives that same message from Windows "No apps are installed to open this type of link (http). Look for an app in the store."

In "Wash Mail Settings" I chose "Opera" and now checked "Launch after Wash Mail." But the stand alone Opera Mail program is not being launched. Maybe with "Opera" MailWasher means "Opera browser mail client"?

I also see "Use other application" appear when I click on "Opera" in MW.
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Lode wrote:But still clicking on the SpamCop confirmation URL gives that same message from Windows "No apps are installed to open this type of link (http). Look for an app in the store."
Navigate to Control Panel >>----> Default Programs >>----> Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program

Next, change the association of the following Protocols and File Types (by browsing) to Opera browser (executable,) as the default program:—
  • HTTP
  • HTTPS
  • FTP
  • .html
  • .htm
  • .shtml
  • .xht
  • .xhtml
MailWasher Pro (βeta) | Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC (22H2) | The Bat! Professional (βeta) | Windows 10 Firewall Control (βeta) | ESET Endpoint Antivirus (βeta) | nVIDIA GeForce (GTX 1060) | WebView2 Runtime (118.0.2088.61) | .NET Framework (4.8.1)
Lode
Travelling Tuatara

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Thank you very much!

In the mean time I uninstalled Opera 30 and installed Opera 12.17 again, made my email account again in that browser, and everything works fine again reporting spam via MailWasher to SpamCop.

I see no advantages in Opera 30 over Opera 12.17, except that sometimes a website is not rendered well in Opera 12.17. But most of the time it works well. And in the few occasions that a site is not fully functional, just one click -tap on my touchpad- on the page of that website makes a popup appear with the option to open that site in one of one's other browsers. I have the default IE11 and also Firefox. One tap on one of them right away opens the site in that browser. So no problem.

If it ever happens in the future that too many websites would not be rendered well anymore with Opera 12.17, then I'll look into this again. For now I keep Opera 12.17 as my default browser. I still very much like it, especially because of the handiness of the build in email client.

Speaking of email clients: in the stand alone Opera Mail client tapping on a link in an email gave no reaction. As if the link was dead. I don't have that happen in the Opera 12.17 integrated mail client.

Thank you again for your kind help. :thumbsup
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:02 am

We are glad to see your issue/s resolved, Lode — thank you, for reporting back. :thumbsup
ataraxy
Knowledgeable Kea

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:53 pm

You really need to move on from Opera 12 since it isn't supported any more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/time-to-mo ... -mid-2014/

If there are any security issues, they won't be patched.
Windows 10
TrustFire
βeta Tester

Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:27 am

Opera 31.0.1889.99 is just out:—

Return to “MailWasher Pro 7”